Missed the Flakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbonham

Reaction score
Hi all- doing Ed Wort's Robust Porter- again because it's awesome. This time, however, I failed to include the flaked barley in the mash. Doh. So I just threw it in a bag at the beginning of the 90 min boil. Thoughts? I know it'll still be a great beer. Thanks for any input.

Did you take them out before the wort got to a boil? I have forgot to put in flaked stuff before but I always put it in the mash tun and extended the mash a little longer.

I think flaked anything needs to mashed to get any gravity points out of it but I'm not 100% on this. You may still get the velvetly effect though in the finished beer. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply. I hit my gravity and volumes just fine- the mouthfeel is my main concern. I'll keep you posted. I love this recipe. There is a tank of beer gas waiting to push it!

Yeah you wont get any gravity points because there are no enzymes for conversion of the sugars. Theyve been killed off once the wort gets above 170 or so

You think tossing it in the boil will give any of the intended texture, or did I waste a half a pound of flakes? More curious than concerned. Wish I could blame my error on drinkin- but I can't. I even looked at the bag of them while milling my grain bill. Oh well.

Back