Missed my OG by a few points, should FG be off by the same amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pensphreak

Reaction score
On my last batch, my OG was expected to be 1.046 and I hit 1.050 (+0.004). My expected FG was 1.007, but actual was 1.012 (+0.005).

Is that true in general that if you miss your OG by 0.00x, you will miss your FG by approximately the same 0.00x due to the yeast attenuation staying the same?

Attenuation will be about the same but it's a percentage, not a specific number of points. So if you miss your OG by 5 points your FG might only be 1 point lower. That's how it's generally gone in my experience. Your last batch seems to be an anomaly, maybe yeast weren't as healthy as expected or your mash was a little hotter than planned or something.

If your attenuation % doesn't change you'll be pretty close to what your expecting however those % are averages. You could have a greater or lesser %. The biggest thing to remember is to keep fermentation temps in the range and stable.

In theory kinda. It wont be off by the same amount as the OG given that its a percentage. Unfortunately different yeasts attenuate differently and even different batches of yeast have some variances. Also all other environmental factors play into part (ferm temp, time in fermenter, grains used etc). I pretty much always use WLP001 and usually have an attenuation with a ~4-5% difference between batches.

For instance, one of my house IPA's I recently decided to add carapils to add more body. The OG was 1.068 vs the normal 1.062 and it finished up at 1.012 and 1.011 respectively. I think its jsut on the HB scale that its not as much of an exact science. I would imagine that larger breweries hit the same numbers everytime

I would still wait to see if it drops a bit more. I don't think you'd pick up that much in FG- some of those sugars you added should have been fermentable.

The other thing to realize in addition to the comments above is that the original expected FG is just a best guess, based on software or some other calculation. Even if you would have hit your OG exactly you could have easily missed the expected FG by a few points. Trying to exactly predict FG's is a bit of a losing battle, unless you have a tried and true recipe and are extremely consistent in your practices. The best you can usually hope for is to be within a narrow range, then let the readings tell you what the true FG is.

Back