Missed gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyD

Reaction score
I missed OG by alot. It should have been 1.056. Came out 1.034. I had some issues keeping the mash temp up. I know I can use DME to bring it up, but I don't have any, and the LHBS isn't open until Tuesday. Would that be too late to add some?

Hmm...my initial gut said it wouldn't be a good idea, but honestly it might work. It would make fermentation longer but doesn't seam like it would have too many side effects.

What style/recipe did you brew? What was your mash temp?

10:1 your grain crush was very coarse, hence your mash efficiency tanked.
Did you sparge? Is there a huge deadspace in your mashing vessel?

I'd boil the wort you've got, hops etc. Chill, pitch yeast, and start fermentation. Then come Tuesday, mix your DME with enough water, but not too much. Perhaps bring it to a short boil or at least 160F, chill and add to your fermentor.

Style is a pale ale. Basic recipe : 2.5 gallon. 2.5 lbs 2-row /2 lbs marris otter /.5 caramel 60l. I had alot of problems keeping mash temp above 140.

Did not sparge. I usually do, but I was also doing a second running that will be kettle soured. No kettle head space. My kettle is small for the amount of grain. I usually do only one gallon batches. Bigger kettle is definitely the next purchase. Grain crush is trustworthy. I did it at the LHBS same as other batches I've done that turned out fine.

Style is a pale ale. Basic recipe : 2.5 gallon. 2.5 lbs 2-row /2 lbs marris otter /.5 caramel 60l. I had alot of problems keeping mash temp above 140.

Did not sparge. I usually do, but I was also doing a second running that will be kettle soured. No kettle head space. My kettle is small for the amount of grain. I usually do only one gallon batches. Bigger kettle is definitely the next purchase. Grain crush is trustworthy. I did it at the LHBS same as other batches I've done that turned out fine.

Unless you own the mill the grain crush is never trustworthy. Anyone could have adjusted the mill between your batches causing you to get a low OG. Never assume the LHBS mill is always the same.:rockin:

That's true. I'm still new enough to not be able to tell the difference between a good crush and a bad one just by looking.

So this is what I did: Boiled 1 cup water. Added 1 pound light DME. Cooled then added to fermenter by submerging a sanitized hose in the wort. Thing were crazy for a couple days. But in the end it came out good. ABV ended up at 5%. Tasted great. Thanks for the useful tips I got on here.

So this is what I did: Boiled 1 cup water. Added 1 pound light DME. Cooled then added to fermenter by submerging a sanitized hose in the wort. Thing were crazy for a couple days. But in the end it came out good. ABV ended up at 5%. Tasted great. Thanks for the useful tips I got on here.

Who says "happy endings" only happen at massage parlors? Good for you :mug:

Back