Missed gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henkyjenky

Reaction score
Brewin a cream ale, OG came out at 1.032.... should have been 1.052.

Poor conversion, right? Is it worth fermenting? Anything I could do at this point to make it better?

Well if your fermentor is full about the only thing you could do is add some extract or sugar or other fermentable. Otherwise it may be a good small beer.

I know that this is months late, but...of course it is worth fermenting. As noted, it will be a small beer, and depending on the recipe, it may be more bitter than you had planned. If it turns out great but you would like to have a little higher alcohol, you can blend it with a future batch.

Is it a Genny clone? If so adding sugar will do no harm, especially corn sugar. :)

But seriously, I would ferment it out and see what you get. If your crush wasn't optimal try dialing it in for next time. Or keep the crush the same and up the grain next time. Also you need to make sure your hydrometer is accurate, and if not calibrate it.

I have the opposite problem with brewhouse efficiency, my beers always end up bigger than I thought. I guess it's not a real problem per se, but sometimes I want a session beer.

Brewin a cream ale, OG came out at 1.032.... should have been 1.052.

Poor conversion, right? Is it worth fermenting? Anything I could do at this point to make it better?

Henky, being off by 20 points is more than just poor conversion - there is something wrong with your process. If you'd like to chat about it, I'm sure people here would be willing to help. The first thing would be to hear from you about your recipe and process.

Henky, being off by 20 points is more than just poor conversion - there is something wrong with your process.

Lol, no doubt. And thank you for the offer to help. :mug:

This is our second AG batch and we suffer for lack of proper equipment. We're thinking out main problem this time was having to use a grain bag for our mash because we do not yet have a false bottom for our igloo cooler, thus not being able to stir the mash.

That and a 10 or 20 other problems. :cross:

LHBS is having an AG class in a couple weeks that I'll definitely be going to.

This is our second AG batch and we suffer for lack of proper equipment. We're thinking out main problem this time was having to use a grain bag for our mash because we do not yet have a false bottom for our igloo cooler, thus not being able to stir the mash.

brewing in a bag shouldn't be the problem, it's quite common. have you looked into Deathbrewer's https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/ or some of the other BIAB stuff here?

How jam packed was the grain bag? you may have just never got conversion out of the parts in the center due to poor wetting.

I have seen that, but thanks for bringing it up again, I need to re-read it.

Didn't have a bag big enough ... so picture a tight ball of grain in a tied off bag floating around...

We now have a false bottom and nylon bags on order :)

I have seen that, but thanks for bringing it up again, I need to re-read it.

Didn't have a bag big enough ... so picture a tight ball of grain in a tied off bag floating around...

We now have a false bottom and nylon bags on order :)

Yup that'd definitely do it. At least you don't have to worry about that anymore :mug:

Back