Minneapols, MN?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm new here but am already addicted to brewing kits. I've done a 1 gallon batch of mead, a 6.5 batch of mead, and a 5 gallon maple syrup brown ale.

Anyways, I am graduating college and want to make the move to Minneapolis as soon as I can do it securely when it comes to money. I noticed just recently that Midwest is actually in Minneapolis/St. Louis Park. How many guys here brew year round, and if you have any tips for moving i'm all ears!!

I brew year round, though if it's below 0, I usually just brew a different day, though if you've got a powerful enough propane burner, or enough heat sticks, you'd probably be good for below 0 brewing(assuming you're willing to sit outside).....though you may go through a lot more propane. Only other tip is to mash indoors if you ever move to AG(assuming you are using a cooler, if you're mashing in a pot, the propane burner stuff applies here too).

Only moving tip I have is to HURRRY UP!!! Moving in winter sucks.

I noticed just recently that Midwest is actually in Minneapolis/St. Louis Park.

Northern Brewer is also located int he twin cities. Their retail store is in St. Paul and their shipping facility is in Roseville, MN

I brew year round, though if it's below 0, I usually just brew a different day, though if you've got a powerful enough propane burner, or enough heat sticks, you'd probably be good for below 0 brewing(assuming you're willing to sit outside).....though you may go through a lot more propane. Only other tip is to mash indoors if you ever move to AG(assuming you are using a cooler, if you're mashing in a pot, the propane burner stuff applies here too).

Only moving tip I have is to HURRRY UP!!! Moving in winter sucks.

I graduate in December so moving would wait til what I call spring and what yall know as the end of winter haha. I do want to visit in the winter though as quite a few people have mentioned that if you don't like the cities in freezing weather then you deserve the cities in beautiful weather. Though a few days isn't 6 months, it's an idea though I guess.

man, i moved to msp in nov of 08' from Memphis, that was the worst 6 months of my life, mostly due to the shock of the cold weather. i got into homebrewing in MSP when my gf gave me a bday gift that changed my life. it was a gift certificate to vine park brewing in st.paul. you can go there brew any bear on the menu, then bottle it yourself a few weeks later. the best part is instead of hanging out while you wait during the boil you walk a block away and drink at the bar. after this awesome event, i purchased Northern brewers deluxe kit. both midwest and nb are excellent resources.

cheers dj

I brew about 10 months out of the year as sitting outside in my garage in the winter is not much fun. I do however bring my mashtun inside when I brew. Don't worry the winter is only 8 months long!

NB's a good store, though I have noticed that Midwest seems to be a bit cheaper. Though Midwest is also 4 minutes down the road from work for me, so I may be a bit bias there :D

I agree; both nb and midwest are great stores and the people working there are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Brewing in the winter is no big deal. Just be mindful of those -50 below windchills.
Ha ha ha
Redbeard5289

Back