miniregulator and 1.75 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I am about to keg for the very first time...after many years of bottling. I have a small (1.75 gallon) keg and a miniregulator - like this http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/04/hands-on-with-leland-mini-co2-regulator.html, but on a smaller keg (https://www.williamsbrewing.com/175-GALLON-NSF-RATED-BALL-LOCK-KEG-P3876.aspx).

I just want to make sure I understand things properly. I want to use the "Set it and forget it" technique. Once the beer is kegged and chilled (to ~40°F), I connect the gas and regulator, and then set the regulator to 12psi. I then keep everything in the fridge until the beer is carbed up. Does that sound right? IF so, is ~7 days about a reasonable time frame for this to work (I'm looking to serve it on July 4th).

Since I am carbonating at 12psi, do I need to do anything else for serving? Or is 12psi the correct serving pressure too?

Thanks for the reassurance and/or corrections. :mug:

A week might be a little soon for it to be fully carbed, but with such a small volume I'm thinking it should be fine.

Keeping it at 12 psi at 40 degrees will work great. Make sure that you have 10-12' lines to serve with, and open the tap fully so the beer flows smooth. Too many people use short lines, and then try to slow the flow by pinching the tap only partly open. But that works like pinching the end of a garden hose (picture how far you can shoot the water then!), and creates foam like crazy!

Here is a great thread on it https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73328&page=95
Generally it takes about 2-3 weeks in the keg if your racking directly out of primary before that "green" taste goes away. Set and forget it is the best method just make sure you have no leaks by spraying Star San or something like that on the connections and look for bubbles

You may need to use a higher pressure like 20 or 30PSI to initially set/seal the lid. Once it is set you can lower the pressure down to the serving pressure and purge the head space. I would put pressure on the keg as soon as it is filled and dont wait for it to reach the serving temp.

Thanks all. The beer is in the fridge and on the gas at 12psi. I hadn't realized it took so long normally to artificially carb a keg. Hopefully it will work well enough.

I also hadn't realized I should have such a long length of line. The setup I got came with a picnic tap and only about 3 or 4 feet of line. I'll run out this week to get something longer.

This batch is really a test of the new system - it's been over two years since I last brewed anything so I figured this was a good way to get my ass back in gear!

Quick question. I just checked on my keg in the fridge after 24+ hours and the regulator gauge was reading zero. I turned the dial and heard gas flowing and set the gauge back to 12psi. Any idea what happened and/or if I need to worry about anything?

Its not a normal thing for them to drop. Sometimes mine drops by 1 point over a few weeks but that's rare. I'd just make sure there are no c02 leaks and check on it in like 12 hours or so. If it continues maybe it's the regulater.

Given the c02 isn't empty

I checked on it again this morning and it was holding steady at 12psi. Could the temperature have anything to do with it? The beer may not have been fully chilled before I put it on the gas, and both the regulator and CO2 canister were at room temp before I put everything in the fridge.

It shouldn't as far as I know. c02 levels are affected by temperature but the regulator should still keep it at the set level until the c02 tank is empty.

I checked on it again this morning and it was holding steady at 12psi. Could the temperature have anything to do with it? The beer may not have been fully chilled before I put it on the gas, and both the regulator and CO2 canister were at room temp before I put everything in the fridge.

Probably not, but with a new regulator maybe it was just wonky at first. That happened to me with a new one a few years ago, but after the first set up and adjustment, it was fine and has been great for about 8 years. So I'd let it go but keep an eye on it.

Back