Minimum boil time for all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simchuck

Reaction score
I want to get my starter ready for the weekend, but I am out of DME and the LHBS is closed. I do have a pound of pale malt looking for a purpose, so I just put it in the mash tun to get very fermentable extract.

I don't plan on hopping the wort, since it is just going into a starter, so I don't have isomerize the alphas. What is the minimum time I need to boil?

I know I need to let the proteins coagulate and also sanitize the wort, but I don't need to worry about concentrating the wort. I plan to skim the proteins after the hot break.

Can I get away with 15 minutes rolling boil?

+1. You could even get away with 8-10. I do all my starters no more than 10 minutes and have great results. Like hunter said, sanitize the wort and let it work. I decant all of my starters as well. Can't stand the thought of all that uselessness going into my beer.

What about the protein coagulation? Is that mostly done with the hot break?

I wouldn't worry about hot or cold break for a starter. Boil for 10 min and cool and pitch. You could also skip the grains and do a smaller starter (should ferment out in 12 hours or so) then build it up when your lhbs opens.

Be careful about boiling for a very short time. With a high portion of 2-row pale malt, you're going to have plenty of DMS if you only boil a few minutes. Now, if it's got a lot of flavored malts (crystals, munich, darker roasted malts, etc...) or lots of hops, the DMS will likely not be that noticeable, but if you're doing a light Pale or Blonde, it might stick out-
I've personally done a 30 min boil with no problems, but that had 5oz of Citra in the last 10 mins, so I think the grapefruit bomb covered up any DMS that might have occurred.

EDIT: Totally missed that this was only for a starter! Just make sure you decant to get rid of any wort-harboring DMS- I only boil my starters for maybe 5 mins MAX most times because I'm lazy.....

you could just go to the grocery store and grab some malta goya to use, its basically what a starter is

Back