Minibrew and light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
Just filled up my new Minibrew 6.5 last night with black Ipa,was wondering should i block light from hipping it or is the plasic enough? Thanks.

That plastic looks completely opaque. You should be fine. I wouldn't worry about moving or covering it.

By the way, is this the first time you've used this fermenter?

How do you like it?

Thanks,yup first time using it.I hate it,wish i stuck with glass carboys.I like seeing What's going on in there and It's easier for me to control temps with the carboys.I'm not giving up yet though,I'm going to get through this ferment and do another in it and see how i feel about it,but chances are I'll just stick with the carboys.

Not to mention the cleaning of carboys is soo much easier.

Cleaning sanke kegs is easy too. Depending on the size/shape, you can use either of the two models of carboy/keg cleaners (attach to your drill)... I've used those along with PBW (or oxyclean) solution to do a excellent (and very easy) job on them. Plus, if you drop/bang one on accident, you don't need to worry about it chipping or breaking. Added benefit is you CAN pour water as hot as you can stand inside them without any impact to the fermenter. Can't do that with either glass or plastic. :rockin:

I started fermenting in the generic plastic bucket. Didn't take long for me to hate that. I then used carboys for a spell (PET for beer, glass for mead). Now I've graduated to using SS kegs to ferment in. I've gotten over the need/desire to see inside the fermenter while the yeast is performing it's magic dance. The benefits, IMO, of using SS fermenters far outweighs any impact on the brewer (psychological of course)...

Can't justify 600.00 buicks for a fermenter,not sure i will ever want to not see the fermentation.I've been brewing a few years and i just like to see What's going on in there.Really thinking i like glass carboys the best.

Picked up my 1/6 bbl kegs for $25 each. Pony was $60. Brand new 25L kegs were $115 each. Getting the slim 1/4 bbl keg for <$45. So i have a LOT of capacity for less than a 7 gallon conical. I'll be looking at a 13.3 gallon keg on Sunday that the guy wants $45 for. I'll probably get the one too. not sure if I'll ferment in it, but its an option.

BTW, I'll take a keg fermenter over a carboy, bucket or anything plastic, every time. Only way I can see using a conical is if I'm either given one, or I win one. Of course, excluding ones used in commercial brewing (if I'm ever that lucky).

Can't justify 600.00 buicks for a fermenter,not sure i will ever want to not see the fermentation.I've been brewing a few years and i just like to see What's going on in there.Really thinking i like glass carboys the best.

I've been switching away from glass and moving to plastic better bottles. Far better for me (Except when aging).

I think I'm going to use kegs for aging from now on though (Glass carboy if no kegs available).

Haputanlas, If you hunt well, you should be able to locate some 1/6 bbl kegs without too much issue. IF we were closer, we could deal for two of the ones I have. I don't expect to be aging more than two brews at any given time. No idea what shipping would be on these things, but if you feel like trying to work something out on them, shoot me a PM...

BTW, the 25L kegs are 12" diameter, 18" tall... Small enough footprint, but the shape is such that they are not going to be easy to tip over. Plus, enough head room in them to safely brew even with really active yeast (for ~5 gallon batches)...

No light in my fermentation chamber...
Don't like the conical? You can always sell it...

I do like the ease of filling corny kegs. Cleaning is not much harder than carboys.

Adam

Back