Mini keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
Could I use this on the mini kegs that you buy at the store? I find it a better deal to buy the kegs filled rather then get them empty on line from a brew shop. But if I had this I could reuse the keg for my brew. It has built in CO2.

image-3015684228.jpg

Do you have a link to where you took the screenshot?

I'm thinking it's unlikely to be a drop-in part.

DanH said:
Do you have a link to where you took the screenshot?

I'm thinking it's unlikely to be a drop-in part.

I found it on Midwest beer supplies

brewingmeister said:
I have a couple mini keg taps and parts for sale in the classified section...just saying.

Lol. Problem solved!

yes, you need the two piece bungs but the filled kegs are just like the empty ones except they are painted/branded on the outside. just pull the original vent bung out.

brewingmeister said:
yes, you need the two piece bungs but the filled kegs are just like the empty ones except they are painted/branded on the outside. just pull the original vent bung out.

Ok I was thinking I'd get a new bung also.

If I didn't want to drop $75 on a CO2 tapping kit, would I be able to buy the replacement bung and carbonate as normal, then just plan on using the branded mini keg with built in tap/drain as a firkin would be used? I know you would pretty much have to drink it all at once at a party and/or deal with mildly flat beer (as you would expect at some point from a traditional beer engine anyway). Thx in advance for any help you can give me. I'm really just looking for an excuse to buy a mini keg of Bell's Hop Slam when it comes out again :tank:

Yes, you could fill and naturally carb the keg without a tap. However it would be like opening a beer and just letting it sit there. mini keg taps don't provide carbing pressure but they do provide a seal and pressure to maintain carb as well as pour brew.
If you want to go that route I would suggest buying at least an extra bung so you can stick the extra center of the bung in reverse to act as a cap when you are done pouring. Might be able to keep enough carb to get another day out of it before it becomes a dead pony.

Back