Mini Keg Root Beer Set Up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgravedoni

Reaction score
hey guys. I've been making my own batches of root beer with bottle conditioning and I can't seem to get used to the yeasty flavor it produced (even if it's subtle). I was hoping to start force carbonating but really don't know a whole lot about corny kegs, specific parts, diameters of tubing, and so on. I understand how the process works (carbonating at high pressure, serving at low pressure, etc) but really don't know where to start. I was hoping there were some pre-assembled kits for mini kegs but I can't really seem to find much other than full size 5 gallon tanks. I wouldn't be totally against using the 5-gallon tanks but space is an issue, where as a mini would fit well in my home refrigerator. Also I know you can force carbonate plastic bottles, but yet again I've seen some people with elaborate parts lists and some people with very simple lists. If anyone could help me in either of these directions it would be greatly appreciated!

You aren't going to want to carbonate at high pressure and serve at low pressure- that will be a big mess and result in some aggravation. Ideally, you'd serve at the same pressure you carbonate at, and keep it there all the time.

I don't know anything about mini kegs, or what exactly you are referring to by 'mini kegs'. They make 2.5 gallon corny kegs, just like the 5 gallon versions, but it doesn't sound like that is what you mean.

You can definitely carbonate in plastic soda bottles with a co2 tank, regulator, and a few parts. I do that all the time.

I agree with Yooper. Having to reset your gas pressure to serve is a good way to avoid solving a problem for the short term, but ideally you would balance your CO2 system and fix any leaks, etc.

The plastic soda bottle thing is a legit way to get bottled Root Beer, and it solves the whole "yeast" problem and you don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

If you want to get into kegging, there are a couple of ways to do it.

First decide how big you want your kegs. There are the standard 5 gallon sized Cornys, and then you have the smaller 2.5 and 3 gallon sizes which are nice for serving a smaller amount of something you don't want 5 gallons of, and they take up less space in your kegerator. I have also adapted a SS fire Extinguisher which is 2.5 gallons. I use that for soda and plan to use it for other things as well, like Cider or small batches of strong ales. This is a custom mod so you won't find a kit to do this. Those would require a small amount of machining and a few parts from the store.

Now, if you are talking about the 5L Mini-Kegs, like what beer is sold in, then you CAN carb and serve in them. A friend of mine has successfully re-used one for kegging beer. He uses a BB gun CO2 cartridge adapter ($25 at some Homebrew Supply Stores)
450x450ximage_816.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xSKop20lrl.jpg

And a custom bung for the top of the keg to attach it to the keg. Using this system you can charge the keg in the fridge and then purge for serving (You won't want to pour Root Beer at charging pressure.)

What I'd be wary of is carbonating at normal Root Beer levels. I'm not sure those kegs are meant for that much. They may be, I just don't know.

I've also naturally primed some beer in one of those, but since I have a full kegging system now I don't find it to be that handy.

I see they have mini kegs without the pour spout. And a dip tube kit for charging and serving. Might be a nice option for kegging without the full blown cost. You could probably store 1-2 of these in the kitchen fridge.

party-star-tap.jpg

I don't think the keg thing you linked to could hold soda carb levels. doesn't it have a plastic plug or something on it?

Perhaps a paintball gun tank, a regulator (which I think is required and would rule out the co2 'charger' thing), a carbonator cap and two liter bottles would be the way to go?

I'm thinking that the only thing that would need to go into the fridge would be the soda bottles, and the c02 carbing setup would be small, and could be kept in a closet, cupboard, or pantry.

Of course, then the soda wouldn't be on draft, but it would be bottled in whatever size was wanted- 12 ounce, 16 ounce, 2L sizes, whatever.

Maybe get one of these and see if you can refill it?
http://reedsinc.com/product/virgil-root-beer-party-keg/

Also, you could carbonate a 5 gallon keg of water and use that to fill bottles that have syrup added to them. That's a route I've taken quite regularly. You still want your carbonated water chilled when filling, though to hold the best carbonation. Any other time it can be held ambient.

I don't think the keg thing you linked to could hold soda carb levels. doesn't it have a plastic plug or something on it?

Perhaps a paintball gun tank, a regulator (which I think is required and would rule out the co2 'charger' thing), a carbonator cap and two liter bottles would be the way to go?

I'm thinking that the only thing that would need to go into the fridge would be the soda bottles, and the c02 carbing setup would be small, and could be kept in a closet, cupboard, or pantry.

Of course, then the soda wouldn't be on draft, but it would be bottled in whatever size was wanted- 12 ounce, 16 ounce, 2L sizes, whatever.

I would say normally, no. Or at least it would make an interesting experiment.

The setup my friend had replaced the regular bung with something different IIRC.

The hard root beer I've had recently was not as fizzy as some of the regular Root Beers I've had. That may be an option depending on well carb'ed you like your RB.

2L soda bottles and a cheap CO2 tank is probably where I'd start.

Our company was helping Miller with their party keg contraption couple of years ago. I wonder what ever happened to that device...

thanks for the input guys! I was originally interested in the 5L mini kegs where as I've read elsewhere that people have used them for root beer, but I can't really seem to find any set up or instructions on how to force carbonate them (the charged cartidges are for serving an already carbed keg and can't be used to carbonate). I ended up going with a CO2 tank and a carbonator cap to start, and if I like how the smaller batches turn out I'll most likely invest in a 2.5gallon Cornelius keg

HI!!

This is exactly how I started. Doing the bottle conditioning (yeast method) and then moved to the carbonator cap with 2 liter soda bottles.

I am now moving towards using my large corny kegs and force carbonating soda in them. Good luck - Yooper has some good advice on carbonating and serving as well.

King

thanks for the input guys! I was originally interested in the 5L mini kegs where as I've read elsewhere that people have used them for root beer, but I can't really seem to find any set up or instructions on how to force carbonate them (the charged cartidges are for serving an already carbed keg and can't be used to carbonate). I ended up going with a CO2 tank and a carbonator cap to start, and if I like how the smaller batches turn out I'll most likely invest in a 2.5gallon Cornelius keg

Would it be possible to mix up a 2G batch, in a 5G corny, carb from CO2 tank, then fill 12oz bottles and cap, with any hope of having reasonable root beer carbonation?

Would it be possible to mix up a 2G batch, in a 5G corny, carb from CO2 tank, then fill 12oz bottles and cap, with any hope of having reasonable root beer carbonation?

Yes, probably- with a beergun or something with a ton of line. Soda is more highly carbed than beer and I've never tried it.

Yes, there's no problem with that at all.
To echo Yooper, you will want something to prevent foaming. I use this and it keeps carbonation pretty well.

Get it real cold and pour it slow and gentle. You should get a small amount of foaming, but you might not lose more than a bottle or two in foam for 2.5 gallons. Kind of depends on the ingredients too.

A counterpressure filler would be best, but they are a few dollars compared to trying it without.

Latest posts

Back