Mini Keg Kegerator Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvanbri

Reaction score
Hello all! (Sorry for the longer thread and if I put it in the wrong place)

This is my first post in a very long time. I brewed about 4 years ago, but life/work got in the way and I stopped. Over christmas, I was given a Edgestar 5L mini keg kegerator with conversion kit. I've now had 2 kegs through it (Warsteiner), and due to limited beer selection and more free time, it has rekindled my desire to homebrew. :mug:

In my 2 keg experience with the unit, I am enjoying it - I think it will be great to allow me to keg my beer, but also not take up a bunch of space (condo living). It did have a few flaws though. I think my regulator was faulty, because I'd set it to 10 psi, and 20 minutes later the gauge would read 25 psi - so I'd pour all foam. It was frustrating, but I almost immediately decided to ditch the Co2 cartridge system, so It wasn't a huge frustration.

I haven't found any information regarding converting to a 5# tank (just how to convert to the paintball size tank) so I wanted to post this if it'll help anyone else.

Here is what I used:

1) 5# Co2 Bottle - Bottle and Gas ($90 at my LHBS)
2) 2 gauge regulator ($55 at my LHBS)
3) Straight Valve Quick-Connect 1/4" O.D. X 1/4" MIP ($8.50 at the blue home improvement store)
4) 20 ft of 0.170" I.D. X 1/4" O.D. food-grade vinyl tubing ($3 at the blue home improvement store)

Otherwise, it's just a matter of replacing the kit parts with these - using the kits black tubing-to-tap connector. The quick-connect valve is a nylon unit, but is rated to about 50 psi. I may upgrade it to brass valve and barb fitting before i attempt to force carb. The tubing is rated to 55 psi, so I may also look to upgrade it in the future. Though I think a 50-55 psi rating should be more than enough for the low pressure side of my regulator for dispensing pressures (even going to 30 psi to force carb - if I ever decide to?).

The 20' tube length allows me to run the tubing through the side door, so I can keep the 5# tank out of the way.

I plan to tap a new store-bought keg this evening to test it out (I will post back results). Immediately followed by brewing my first batch in 4 years - the Brewers Best English Brown Ale kit.

There are a few other projects I have in mind for my new system, but I hope this will get me going, and eliminate some frustration with the cartridge system.

I look forward to attempting to be an active member of the community. I'd also welcome any thoughts/advice on my new setup and/or my first brew in a while. :D

Thanks,

Daniel

Back