Mini keg bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akavango

Reaction score
I kegged this one about 3 weeks ago and left it in a corner. This morning I saw this. Couldn't believe how deformed the keg was.

Guess will drink during the Monaco Grand Prix and the Indy 500.

Have a good memorial week end you all.

Screen shot 2012-05-27 at 10.35.45.jpg

Was this a commercially available "for homebrewers" mini-keg or did you reuse one (like Heineken) that came with beer in it?

How much priming sugar did you use. I always had good results with two tablespoons of corn sugar. Three got me similar results to your pic one time.

How much priming sugar did you use. I always had good results with two tablespoons of corn sugar. Three got me similar results to your pic one time.

The instructions said to put a third of the sugar used in bottles. I used cooper drops so I must have put 5. 1 per liter.

I kegged another one the previous week end and didn't leave much head room so I had to open it too.

The fountain of beer when I opened that keg was quiet amazing. I was trying to fit the dispenser but it blew up and took off. There was about 60% left in the keg. The beer was really good better than in the bottle.

I kegged this one about 3 weeks ago and left it in a corner. This morning I saw this. Couldn't believe how deformed the keg was.

Guess will drink during the Monaco Grand Prix and the Indy 500.

Have a good memorial week end you all.

Looks familiar - I had one batch do that a few years ago (I had split a five gallon batch between two mini-kegs and the rest in bottles). My issue was that I hadn't let the beer hit final gravity, so one keg did that after about a week on the shelf and the bottles were all foamers.

Not trusting the interior coating after that, I tossed the keg after dumping it. But first, I tried to get it to split or explode or whatever by repeatedly tossing it off my two-story deck onto the frozen ground and concrete. The keg (and bung) outlasted me - after *several* tosses, I gave it and just drained it.

Damn, it foamed til empty.

Back