Mini-fridge... What the heck did I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
So I got a Craiglist special. A 1 yr old mini fridge Sears brand. Its most likely a 1.8 cu ft. It has no compressor on it. I have already taken it apart and the cooling unit is basically a large amount of aluminum fins and fans on the inside and outside. It was actually pretty easy to dissasemble.
How does this cooling system work? I plan on making a chest kegerator for 4 kegs. Will it be able to keep a small kegerator cool?
Thanks,
Scott

It is likely a peltier thermoelectric coupling - basically a little pad that when you apply electrcity to it it cools one side but heats the other, transfering heat out of the fridge. I would guess it was most likely a wine cooler. As long as it can get down to serving temps it should be a problem.

Yes, what you describe is a peltier. I built a fermentation chamber using one of these. Doesn't work too well. To be honest, you're going to have a really hard time getting a space large enought for multiple kegs down to serving temp with one of these. On the positive side, they're very easy to install...

Yes, what you describe is a peltier. I built a fermentation chamber using one of these. Doesn't work too well. To be honest, you're going to have a really hard time getting a space large enought for multiple kegs down to serving temp with one of these. On the positive side, they're very easy to install...

Yeah I agree, just went back and re-read the OP and notice it is one of those tiny fridges for a few bottles of drinks. So I would not expect much from this one.
I was originally think one of those larger wine coolers which some use peltiers because you are not trying to get down to normal fridge temps (4°C0 but more like celler temps (12°C)

I am actually tossing a wine chiller i got for $20 that has one of these units. The plate itself can get down to freezing easily but it takes soo long and is very inefficient. The unit I got had to have a fuse replaced and I even replaced the peltier unit but could never get it to work right. You could use it as a beer fridge but I would not invest too much into any DIY uses.

bummer... I'm 100 dollars into a build. I'll post at how well it works. I noticed that even though its only one year old, I can't find the product on Sears webpage. I plan on filling extra space with foam peanuts to reduce as much wasted space as possible.
In my favor is that it will live in a basement so the ambient temp will not be very high, even during the summer.

The idea is not bad and the chillers can get down to below freezing, it is just the amount of time it takes. It won't be as bad if you don't open the door all of the time.

Back