mini fridge or freezer for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictoryAle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide which unit is best to get for a fermentation chamber.

First of all, I tend to think buying a new model might be best, since a used model could crap out on my after a week, and without any sort of warranty. I guess it depends on how cheaply I could get a used one...opinions?

Can anyone tell me if a small (3.5 cu ft) top loading freezer would be as, or more appropriate for hooking up to an external thermostat and setting to 60f, than would be a large (4.4 cu ft) mini fridge? I worry that a freezer might have a harder time keeping a warmer temperature consistent, and that it may put more stress on the unit than a fridge might be put under.

One tempting option is a Wine/Beverage cooler, one of those units that lacks a dinky, space consuming freezer,and has a nice, flat door (no protruding shelves on the inside). It seems they burn out like crazy though, based on reviews I've read. I suspect this might be because many people crank those units to get their beer cold, when really they are meant more for cellaring temps. Perhaps one of these set on the low side would give me the 60f I want, without the need for an external thermostat?

Thanks for any insight on the above, or regarding preferred/distrusted brands, models,etc. I need to keep the unit on the small side, and need a range of 55-65F..

My recommendation is the chest freezer route. I can't speak to long term reliability, but my 7 cubic foot freezer burns significantly less power than the similarly sized keg fridge that I have sitting next to it in the garage.

Admittedly the keg fridge is having to keep the freezer section cold all the time, but the insulation and top-opening design on the chest freezer is just much more efficient.

The wine fridge is an attractive option since it is designed to hold something close to ale fermenting temperatures and has a temperature controller already built in. The down side is that you won't be able to lager or cold crash in one without some tinkering.

I wouldn't be scared of a craigslist fridge or freezer though, I've had very good luck with the ones I've bought. Just check for smells and bad mildew problems.

I made a box and attached a dorm fridg to it to make a fermentation chamber. If I was to do it again, I would go the chest freezer route. The biggest reason is that I can't cold crash at all, and even struggle getting into the 50's on a warm day. The dorm fridg just doesn't have the nutz that a chest freezer has. Now if you only want to ferment in it, and happen to have one laying around, then go for it.

Back