Mini Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kesslar99

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times, but in my search I could find a definitive answer. I have the opportunity to get a free mini fridge that is a good size and will easily fit my fermentation bucket/carboy, however the fridge is a freezer/fridge with a small compartment freezer. I have seen posts that recommend mini fridges without the freezer area. Will there be an issue with temperature control, etc if I use this fridge? I plan on using the inkbird temperature controller to maintain temps.

Thank you,

Tim

I wouldn't think so. Your temp controller will kick it on and off when the beer needs it to no matter how the cold air is getting in the fridge.

I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times, but in my search I could find a definitive answer. I have the opportunity to get a free mini fridge that is a good size and will easily fit my fermentation bucket/carboy, however the fridge is a freezer/fridge with a small compartment freezer. I have seen posts that recommend mini fridges without the freezer area. Will there be an issue with temperature control, etc if I use this fridge? I plan on using the inkbird temperature controller to maintain temps.

Thank you,

Tim

You should be fine. I saw a guy try to cut out that freezer section and ruined his unit. If you tape your ATC probe to the side of the fermenter, then cover (tape) that over with a neoprene beer coozie, you'll be in business.

I use a stopper that includes an integrated temp well that goes into the wort. Sanitize it and then just run the ink-bird temp probe down into that. You get the actual wort temp that way. I used it this way with my kegerator (nothing on tap at the time) and it worked really well.

That was my trial run. This weekend I'm picking up a chest freezer to use as my new ferm chamber.

I think the only issue the freezer creates is that it might interfere with the airlock or blowoff tube and that is why people want to remove it. If your setup fits it should be good to go.

Back