Mini-BIAB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kujosp

Reaction score
I should be hunting, but my wife had to work instead and I'm watching my 23 month old daughter. I have a 3 keggle setup but it is freezing outside and not the best idea when watching a 2 year old. So I've been searching around and I believe I have everything to do a mini-BIAB. 5 gallon pot, bag, and ingredients. I just started heating up the water and have a question and maybe more as I go.

I have 8lbs of grain I'm going to attempt to stuff in this pot, what no-sparge volume do I have to begin with? I put 3.5 gallons of water in the pot but I am worried that the grain bill may be too big. Ultimately is there a volume calculation for dry grain, lbs to saturated volume?

thanks for the help
I did search and was unable to find previous related questions.

You'll probably be really close. According to the "can I mash it" calculator here 8 lbs at 1.75 qt/lb, which you have, takes up 4.14 gal space. I often do 3 gal batches in my 5 gal pot with that size mash, and I end up needing to dunk sparge in a second pot. I find to get 3 gal post boil I need to start with just a little under 4.5 gal mash + sparge water.

No prob. I have to say I do miss my Bell's but otherwise not really missing Michigan right now, it's 67* here currently.
:D

I don't know if this helps but my last full volume biab, a doppelbock, was a 20 pound grist in 11 gallons of water in a 13 gallon pot. Had a very small amount of overflow until I'd carefully stirred and saturated the grain and displaced pockets of air. That's a ratio of 1 gallon displacement per 10 pounds. Does this sound right people? I followed that mash with a vigorous boil after removing the bag and had no overflow problems at that stage either. Hope this helps. I think you should be fine.

You'll probably be really close. According to the "can I mash it" calculator here 8 lbs at 1.75 qt/lb, which you have, takes up 4.14 gal space. I often do 3 gal batches in my 5 gal pot with that size mash, and I end up needing to dunk sparge in a second pot. I find to get 3 gal post boil I need to start with just a little under 4.5 gal mash + sparge water.

This is pretty much what I find too. The only difference is rather than sparge, I squeeze the grain bag and let it drain until it stops dripping while heating to a boil.

According to chickypad's link 10lbs dry weight would equate to 0.8 gallons saturated.

I lived 3 minutes from bell's for 10 years! Miss that a bit as I'm now an hour away but I am 20 minutes or so from dark horse.

Thanks again guys, good stuff!

To give you guys some immediate feedback, chicky had said it would be close and he was right. Hawk and chiro your guys experience seems good as I would now assume 10 dry lbs is approximately 1 gallon saturated is about spot on!

Great! Hope you had a good day brewing and babysitting. Maybe in a few yrs you'll have a functional brewer's helper. Unfortunately my brewer's helper never really panned out (see my avatar and picture a pit bull in a china shop, glad I don't bottle anymore).

BTW, chicky is a she ;)

😣yea sorry about that chicky! Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

At least on the floor it can be wiped up completely. That burnt sugar is a real B&^%$ to get off the stove!!!

Off topic, but I recently learned the trick to removing this stuff from the stove top. Make a paste from baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, put it on the spots, let it sit overnight, and then wipe it up. Worked like a charm for me.

Back