Mineral levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybershadow

Reaction score
I am adjusting water for the first time and just got a quick question. I see there are recommended brewing levels. For example 50-150ppm for calcium. My questions is should i shoot for 50 or 150 or somewhere in the middle or does it not really matter as long as i am in the range?

As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), most of the ranges are a combination of "no more than" and "no less than". So probably what you want to do is modify your water until you get inside the range, then stop.

There is NO calcium target goal. There are plenty of beers made with far less than 50 ppm calcium. However, there are many advantages to brewing with a calcium level around 50 ppm. You can read about them on the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website.

Using a calcium level higher than 50 ppm is typically only done in order to add the anion you want in the water for its flavor effects (chloride, sulfate).

Latest posts

Back