Mineral buildup in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodsuds

Reaction score
I needed one of my buckets for another batch and didn't have time to bottle so I racked my wheat beer to a carboy on Friday. I noticed this morning that I could see brush marks where the yeast is clinging to the side of the carboy. I presume they're clinging to mineral deposits.

I cleaned the carboy with OneStep and a carboy brush and sanitized it with StarSan before I racked the beer. It makes me wonder what else can be sticking to that buildup if the yeast are...

Should I be worried about this or is this another case of RDWHAHB? Any suggestions on getting the mineral deposits or whatever that is off the inside of the glass?

Thanks!

carboy1.jpg

carboy2.jpg

Mods, can you please move my thread to the beginners beer forum? I opened it here by mistake.

A long soak in water and oxyclean takes care of just about everything.

Having said that, it almost looks like the yeast are just settling out and sticking to a slight bend in the carboy wall. I can't totally tell from the photo, but that always happens in mine (which are a bit more ridged).

I get lots of yeast sticking to the walls. I clean the hell out of my carboys- if you have deposits, they'll be pretty obvious.

Agreed. You have yeast, trub, etc. Not minerals. Don't sweat it and oxy after you'll be squeaky clean.

What are the vertical lines that look like scratches/brush marks on the sides then? I'm used to seeing yeast stick to the sides of my fermenters, but I don't recall seeing the lines before.

I wouldn't worry about this. Just clean it good when its empty.

To clean it give it a good soak in PBW for a day or two.

Back