Mince-Meat Holiday Ale - An English Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thinking of making a holiday ale using mince meat pie filling. Possibly homemade.

9e33b1fc-530d-4a66-9927-c2b63813800e_1.43976031234bfca2a5f455c4e9955e29.jpeg

If you are thinking yuck. Its not what you think. See the Alton Brown Recipe. Mince Meat Pie. Here's the wiki for Mince Pie.

I'm thinking of doing this, but trying to figure out a style to use as a base. I figured some of you New Englanders on HBT might have a suggestion. Assuming you folks have had mince pie over the holidays. I'm definitely thinking an English Style; Brown, Porter, Scotch, or and Old Ale

If you have some style suggestions let me know. I'm thinking a beer that can be drank as soon as Thanksgiving and all the way through Christmas.

There has been one beer like this on the market. This is the beer advocate link below.

Greenbush Brewing Mince Meat Porter

Probably make a homemade version that doesn't have any fats in it. Don't really want those oils in a beer.

Probably make a homemade version that doesn't have any fats in it. Don't really want those oils in a beer.

That's what i was thinking after the fact. I originally though about pie filling, because I have that on hand.

Beer Style?

Old Ale would be my go to answer as those are associated with winter ("winter warmer" beers etc.). Basically a high ABV mild.

I'm going this route with old ale direction.

I'm going to sub chocolate malt with Special B, I don't want the roast taste to complete with the mince. Then add some 40L, Victory & Aromatic.

MM2

None Such Ingredients

Ingredients
WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED, DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS, FRUIT PECTIN.

Very interested to see how this turns out, please keep us updated.
Regards, GF.

Will do.

I already pitched the mm into the brew kettle at flame out.

I have the dry ingredients reconstituted in water and a half cup of Brandy. E&J V.S.

I'm going to add this ^^^^ to a secondary and rack to it tomorrow.

I've been thinking about making mincemeat tamales for Christmas. :D

I made some leftover turkey tamales the weekend after Thanksgiving, and I made a dozen more tonight to use up the rest of the filling. And I filled one with raisins and a little brown sugar and cinnamon. I ate the raisin one; it tasted pretty good, but a little weird because there was turkey broth, turkey fat, and a little chile powder in the masa.

Last edited:
It turned out ok. The mince meat flavor is good. I soaked my 2nd dose of mince meat in E&J Brandy. I think I over did the brandy. If I was do it again I'd add it to a porter or a big stout....

....and use less brandy.

How much mince meat (none such in a jar I presume) did you use and was it a 5 gallon batch?

One large jar I think 27oz like the picture in post one. Borden None Such. This was at or near flame out.

Then I added dry mince meat, brandy soaked, in the secondary. Same brand however the dry type. I had a little extra brandy that should hand been kept out. Strained it should have been.

Yes it was 5 gallons.

Back