Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the home brew store today and picked up the ingredients. Unfortunately they were almost out of cascade! I decided to follow the original hop which is Cluster. I got one ounce of Cluster, 2 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs 6 row, and 1.75 flaked maize. Luckily they had the amylase enzyme and us05 yeast. I'll try to brew this one on Wednesday.

That will also give me some time to think about the hop schedule. The original recipe calls for 3.5 HBU at 60 minutes. That's only .4 -.6 oz of cluster. I guess I could do .5oz at 60 and throw that rest in the freezer for the next batch.

Went to the home brew store today and picked up the ingredients. Unfortunately they were almost out of cascade! I decided to follow the original hop which is Cluster. I got one ounce of Cluster, 2 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs 6 row, and 1.75 flaked maize. Luckily they had the amylase enzyme and us05 yeast. I'll try to brew this one on Wednesday.

That will also give me some time to think about the hop schedule. The original recipe calls for 3.5 HBU at 60 minutes. That's only .4 -.6 oz of cluster. I guess I could do .5oz at 60 and throw that rest in the freezer for the next batch.

This beer uses so little hops it's good for leftovers. Just make sure to hit your target IBU with right adjusted additions.

Where are you at with your beer?

We racked it out of the fermenter on Saturday afternoon. Sorry, I should have taken some pics. 5 gal into a keg, 10 into two carboys, and all went into the cooler to begin chilling. We're going to be acquiring a few more kegs, or we may bottle one of the carboys. Just didn't have time as we brewed another beer and needed the fermenter. We've just started brewing a ton, so will be acquiring more fermenters too. I don't like rushing the beer out of the fementer, but my partner is always in a hurry.

Tasted the gravity sample and it was very good. Can't wait for carbonation! Next time we will use a bit more amylase, as we finished at 1.002. I want to get all the way to 1.000.

We racked it out of the fermenter on Saturday afternoon. Sorry, I should have taken some pics. 5 gal into a keg, 10 into two carboys, and all went into the cooler to begin chilling. We're going to be acquiring a few more kegs, or we may bottle one of the carboys. Just didn't have time as we brewed another beer and needed the fermenter. We've just started brewing a ton, so will be acquiring more fermenters too. I don't like rushing the beer out of the fementer, but my partner is always in a hurry.

Tasted the gravity sample and it was very good. Can't wait for carbonation! Next time we will use a bit more amylase, as we finished at 1.002. I want to get all the way to 1.000.

Awesome - Take a picture of your first set a of pints!

Well, here it is! Much as I expected. There's a slight bitter aftertaste that I'm not sure whether to attribute to the AE, or the Sorachi Ace hops. I'll know better after I taste the beer that was kegged as it's been chilling for nearly two weeks.

Kelly light blonde first bottle__smaller.jpg

Well, here it is! Much as I expected. There's a slight bitter aftertaste that I'm not sure whether to attribute to the AE, or the Sorachi Ace hops. I'll know better after I taste the beer that was kegged as it's been chilling for nearly two weeks.

You can tell hop bitterness from the AE effect. The AE makes it have this weird dryness. It's unlike any hop flavor/bitterness. Definitely vanishes with time.

You will know. The difference will be rather obvious. You will be really pleased with the clean, dry taste and and the absolute clarity of the beer.

I am looking forward to making this, but can't decide which hops to use.....?? Recomendations? I have read thru a bunch of pages, but not all 97...

Also, should I sparge with the full amount of water, 5+ gallons to get to the boil volume needed? or sparge with say 3 gallons and top off the rest after sparge?

I am looking forward to making this, but can't decide which hops to use.....?? Recomendations? I have read thru a bunch of pages, but not all 97...

Also, should I sparge with the full amount of water, 5+ gallons to get to the boil volume needed? or sparge with say 3 gallons and top off the rest after sparge?

Sparge with what you need to achieve 6 gallons to start your boil.

This is a 6 lb mash schedule - Mash with 1.5 gallons, sparge with 3 gallons, add 1.33 ~ 1.75 gallons to get 5.5 ~ 6 gallon boil size

You can do either, many will suggest NOT over sparging. I normally sparge to get 6 gallons.

Use Hallertauer, Tettnanger Mt Hood, Liberty, Perle, Saaz, or Spalt.

https://byo.com/resources/hops

Use this with it set to "Light Ale"

Thanks! I decided to go with Hallertauer this time around and go from there.
.75 oz at 60 min
1 oz at 5- total IBU- 17
1 oz dry hop

I LOVE this recipe!

Anyone done this as a Lager?

If so, did you add the Amylase at Lager temps (50*F or so) or room temp or what?

Ok. To be clear, pitch cold, ferment cold, raise to room temp and add amylase then drop to 52-ish and lager?

Sorry for the confusion.

No. The opposite. Typically with S-05 Pitch and ferment 62-72F, then add amylase.

The purpose of amylase is to improve attenuation without the need for lagering. Reduces the need for a lower temp and additional time associated with lagering.

So, depending on your yeast choice, ferment at the yeast nominal temp for roughly a week then add amylase. If you want to lager after adding amylase go ahead. So using S-23 I fermented at room temp 68F then, secondaried, added amylase then moved it to the basement that was at 52F. I think this was when my basement was fairly cold Jan-Feb time frame.

Its about getting going good with a vigorous ferment and enzyme and then let it finish. Lagering is optional.

If you choose S-23 52F is a good temp to lager.

I'm doing this as a Lager now.

Pitched cold, fermented cold, raised to d-rest and added amylase. Will wait two weeks at68-ish for the Amylase to work its mojo, then lager cold.

Should be interesting to see how long or short the lagering will need to be. My guess is not long, since it's already clean as an ale. The 2 weeks for the amylase to fade will probably be all it needs to lager.

I'm doing this as a Lager now.

Pitched cold, fermented cold, raised to d-rest and added amylase. Will wait two weeks at68-ish for the Amylase to work its mojo, then lager cold.

Should be interesting to see how long or short the lagering will need to be. My guess is not long, since it's already clean as an ale. The 2 weeks for the amylase to fade will probably be all it needs to lager.

I agree. It doesn't take long.

And the final results are..........?

Made this this weekend. Overshot my OG all the way out to 1.042. Oops! I guess my setup might be more efficient at the smaller grain bill numbers. Interested to see how it turns out!

I saw that. I was thinking you were going see how the kegged version was tasting.

I brewed this on 12/30/2016 using all Hallertau hops. After 7 days, US-O5 got it down to 1.004. I added the amylase enzyme and dry hops on day 7. The gravity sample tasted super clean with a slight hoppy flavor. It was delicious! I am really looking forward to this beer. I will update once kegged and carbed.

This looks interesting. I'd like to give it a try. The recipe is from 09 when secondarys were common practice. Couple questions:
I've never used an enzyme. How exactly does it get added/when?
Do you need to secondary when using an enzyme?
I'll be using 05. Just use it in the normal way? 68 for a week

This looks interesting. I'd like to give it a try. The recipe is from 09 when secondarys were common practice. Couple questions:

It's goes back further. World Beer Cup - 1996

People usually add the dry enzyme power (amylase enzyme) to the secondary, then siphon in top of the enzyme. You siphon after a weeks length of fermentation. Let it sit for a week or two more.

I think people have dissolved enzyme in distilled water. Then dumped it in the primary after a week. The let it sit for a while.

I like the secondary, because I want zero sediment. I have extra carboys though.

I think you can do it either way.

Exactly, I've brewed variations of this many times. Quite often a hit with the ladies or the girlie guys.

As to secondary, I have preached to not secondary, avoid that transfer. I have simply dumped the amylase enzyme direct, I've also pre-boiled and re-boiled water then mixed the powder and pour the solution into the fermenter. I normally wait a week or two, measure (or not), and add the enzyme. (I say not, simply after I've brewed a grain bill a number of times, I'm comfortable with my setup and knowing the yeast did its job upon tasting. ) Yes, I stress my yeast at times but this recipe got me some wonderful remarks along with a couple of blue ribbons and a runner-up for best of show twice. Always dinged on style entered.

My setup has me in the fermenter bucket about 70 or so, if much higher I pause the yeast addition. From there my chest freezer is set to 60, I expect a 7-8 degree rise with active fermentation. I'll let this ride out to 2-3 week and keg it.
Finishes at basically 0 every time. Foolproof.

If I expect to travel or serve to guests I'll gelatin it filter it accordingly.

Oh and one very last thing, SANITIZE. There is nothing in this beer that will hide ANY imperfection.

EDIT: Just checked BeerSmith, I first brewed this on 18 July 2009. First dated copy I have in my ToDo folder is 05 July 2009.

Awesome. Take pic and post it here in a nice tall glass.

lite2.jpg

Brewed using all Hallertau hops.
OG 1.032
FG 1.002
3.9% ABV
Added amalyse and dry hops to primary after 7 days
cold crashed day 18
added gelatin day 19
Kegged day 21
Delicous on day 25!

This is so much better than any lite beer out there. I am going to tweak a bit to get the ABV up to 4.2-4.4% for the next batch and I just might keep this on tap all summer. :mug:

View attachment 386228

Brewed using all Hallertau hops.
OG 1.032
FG 1.002
3.9% ABV
Added amalyse and dry hops to primary after 7 days
cold crashed day 18
added gelatin day 19
Kegged day 21
Delicous on day 25!

This is so much better than any lite beer out there. I am going to tweak a bit to get the ABV up to 4.2-4.4% for the next batch and I just might keep this on tap all summer. :mug:

What an awesome photo! :rockin:

The color is very light, just like mine. The additional grain on a 4.2-4.4% grain bill may darken it slightly.

View attachment 386228

brewed using all hallertau hops.
Og 1.032
fg 1.002
3.9% abv
added amalyse and dry hops to primary after 7 days
cold crashed day 18
added gelatin day 19
kegged day 21
delicous on day 25!

This is so much better than any lite beer out there. I am going to tweak a bit to get the abv up to 4.2-4.4% for the next batch and i just might keep this on tap all summer. :mug:

Nice!!!

Brewed it as is except for changing the 0 min Cascade to Saaz @15 min. OG 1.034.

Did a split batch, fermented with SO-05 and and Wyeast Kolsh 2565 both @ 65 F. Fermented down to 1.003 and 1.004.

I prefer the Kolsh but only by a very small margin. Both great beers.Thanks for sharing.

:mug:

Brewed it as is except for changing the 0 min Cascade to Saaz @15 min. OG 1.034.

Did a split batch, fermented with SO-05 and and Wyeast Kolsh 2565 both @ 65 F. Fermented down to 1.003 and 1.004.

I prefer the Kolsh but only by a very small margin. Both great beers.Thanks for sharing.

:mug:

Awesome. I need to try saaz.

Where are the Pictures??

Finally got a chance to brew this. So far so good, 1.037, using about 1.5 oz of hallatuer FWH and 1oz hallatuer for a hop stand on10 gallon batch, planning on a 1 or 2 oz 2-week dry hop.

A little high on the IBUs and a bit better efficiency, but it's all good.

I am really looking forward to how this turns out. Thanks for the recipe and all of the tweaking...

Do you have to dry hop this recipe? If you don't, what would you do instead. Used this recipe as my 1st BIAB all grain and it didn't really turn out well.

It taste very light at the begging and when I swallow it has just a not good taste (hard to describe). Part of the taste is grassy if that makes since, which I thought might be because of the whole leaf hops. I left it in the primary for 10 days then 2ndary for 10 days.

I had some problems with my mash temperature and my fermentation temp might not have had the best control which could also be the problem.

Do you have to dry hop this recipe? If you don't, what would you do instead. Used this recipe as my 1st BIAB all grain and it didn't really turn out well.

It taste very light at the begging and when I swallow it has just a not good taste (hard to describe). Part of the taste is grassy if that makes since, which I thought might be because of the whole leaf hops. I left it in the primary for 10 days then 2ndary for 10 days.

I had some problems with my mash temperature and my fermentation temp might not have had the best control which could also be the problem.

No you don't have to dry hop. It typically gives it that 70's era american lager taste. I've done it both ways and got very good results.

How long has it been since you pulled it off of the amylase enzyme?

Often the enzyme takes time to fade. Its roughly two weeks chilled before it drops out. I describe it as an acrid parched dryness.

If you are tasting grassiness, it too fades with time. Its typically longer though. Like a couple months. This beer can be unforgiving if you make mistakes, however patience and aging this beer greatly helps as it gets cleaner with time.

Give us more information about your ingredients and the fermentation time.

I used rahr 2 row malt, rahr 6 row malt and flaked corn, all from homebrewsupply.com

I did find a post of some one who tried this at day 9 and day 20 and said it got alot better, so i know there is hope.

I plan to do it again, I read you can add amylase to the primary and get the same result so i may try that, forgo dry hoping and then monitor my fermentation temp. better.

I used rahr 2 row malt, rahr 6 row malt and flaked corn, all from homebrewsupply.com

I did find a post of some one who tried this at day 9 and day 20 and said it got alot better, so i know there is hope.

I plan to do it again, I read you can add amylase to the primary and get the same result so i may try that, forgo dry hoping and then monitor my fermentation temp. better.

So its not been very long since it finished. Right?

Correct its been in the bottle 2-3 days so i'm hoping it is just young, but i feel its hard to come up from where it is at now. I fermented for 7 days then transferred to 2ndary for 9 days then bottled. I put the primary in a bath tub with water but forgot to add ice packs until the 2nd day.

Correct its been in the bottle 2-3 days so i'm hoping it is just young, but i feel its hard to come up from where it is at now. I fermented for 7 days then transferred to 2ndary for 9 days then bottled. I put the primary in a bath tub with water but forgot to add ice packs until the 2nd day.

Oh boy. 3 days is not much at all. You need 2-3 weeks to fully carb and some time chilled. It will be quite different in about 3 - 4 weeks.

Be patient it's going to be much better than it is today.

I found when I first started brewing that I was drinking my beer a bit too early. I bottled, and found the last six pack was notably better than the first six.

You need to make some wheat beer. Wheat beers are good if you need something quick, not to mention they're meant to be drank fresh. This is especially good when the pipeline of beer needs filled and you're aging some other beers.

That's what I do if I run out of homebrew.

I brewed this on 2/8 and racked to the secondary a week late (3/1). Fermented down to 1.006 without the enzyme. I'm gonna let it sit another week (with the enzyme) then keg. This tastes great right out of the fermenter. Can't wait to try it when it's kegged.

I brewed the recipe with 1oz of cluster hops at 60 since my lhbs was out of cascade when I bought the grains.

Back