Milled grain shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a sale on all grain kits that I want to buy. Buy 2 get one free... Not a bad deal but I'm not sure how long the milled grain will be good. Thoughts?

There is a sale on all grain kits that I want to buy. Buy 2 get one free... Not a bad deal but I'm not sure how long the milled grain will be good. Thoughts?

Not a "good" yardstick but I found some forgotten milled grains that has to be 5 years old and made them part of a floor-sweepin's beer to no ill effects, All were in their NB sealed packages.

Hops in the freezer, yeast in the fridge..I would guesstimate a year.

I have used milled grain from non-sealed storage after 3 months (give or take) with no noticeable ill effects

I made a dry hopped Centennial Blonde a while back with grain milled 3 months prior and stored simply in a rolled up grain bag. The beer was awesome

Northern brewer is having the sale - I'm thinking of picking up a bunch of summerish/fall beers to brew for the next couple of months.

Back