Milk can fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbalancer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw these new stainless milk cans at milehidistilling.com with gasketed clamp down lids and triclamp fitting built in. Looks like they would make a great fermenters. Anyone out there have one already?

It looks to me like the $140 model would work.

We are not making shine, so don't really need the clamps.

Just the base 13 gallon can, with a hole drilled for an airlock gasket, should do fine.

Been considering one of these for a long time. I have a 7.1g conical. It's nice, but there's a serious bottleneck in the dump port (easily clogged and hard to harvest yeast...yes I've tried the rubber mallet thing and all sorts of tricks). I find harvesting yeast with a sanitized spoon from a bucket is about as easy as it gets. The stainless milk can is a sophisticated bucket, but better than plastic.

Here's a shop in my neck of the woods with good prices.

http://www.napafermentation.com/catalog_c127268.html

Been considering one of these for a long time. I have a 7.1g conical. It's nice, but there's a serious bottleneck in the dump port (easily clogged and hard to harvest yeast...yes I've tried the rubber mallet thing and all sorts of tricks). I find harvesting yeast with a sanitized spoon from a bucket is about as easy as it gets. The stainless milk can is a sophisticated bucket, but better than plastic.

Here's a shop in my neck of the woods with good prices.

http://www.napafermentation.com/catalog_c127268.html

I have been using one of this as my primary fermenter and it works. The only downside are the seams. These are "stainless steel cans" but beside that, they are easy to clean and the lid comes with a gasket seal. Almost forgot, my unit came with a threated port about ~1.00-1.5" from the bottom. It was a straight thread so I had to order a fitting from McMaster Carr to replaced the valve (it was a used unit) and from that point on, no more raking.

So far I have run about 7 or 8 batches without any problems. I do take my time cleaning and sanitazing the units (to avoid any issues!!!).

Finally, thanks for the link:ban: Have been looking of a supplier. I need an additional fermenter and possibly an upgrade to 50ltr (~13.2gal). Planning to start brewing 10 gal batches.

I'm surprised they moderators haven't shut this posting down, they get touchy with just the word still. Seen it in the past.

I think under the circumstances that they are looking at the pots for fermentation not the stills for distilling.

Or maybe they just haven’t found it yet :cross:

Those would look damn nice in a dedicated home brewery. I wonder if they are STILL available?

Latest posts

Back