Mild Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljbrisson

Reaction score
Looking for a good extract mild recipe. I anticipate that this will be one of the last beers I brew before I go all-grain (I have everything but the mash tun), and also my first British ale. Here's what I formulated off the top of my head... need some help fine-tuning it, and a yeast suggestion.

6 oz. C60 (steep)
6 oz. chocolate (steep)
(I also have some C120 leftover from a stout, is this recommended for this style?)

4 lb. DME - 60m
1 oz. Fuggles* - 60m
.5 oz. Fuggles* - 15m
.5 oz. Fuggles* - 0
[yeast (Maybe Nottingham, is that suitable to this style?]

* = or other British hop... please suggest as I have not used any British varieties yet, but Fuggles seems to be a popular variety.

Critiques? Suggestions? Please share, I am eager to learn about brewing this style. Thanks!

I've always used a dark crystal (120ish, special B, 155ish) in small amounts in mild. I find the dried fruit flavors welcome.

I prefer goldings to fuggles, but a lot of people would say the opposite and a lot of people like them both together.

You might want to move the final hop add to 60 minutes or increase your boil time to 90 minutes. Aroma adds are rare in Milds. Goldings or Willamette are alternative hops. Milds need a clean finish, so Nottingham is fine.

I agree with most of the posts.

Milds are my favorite and my usual recipe is
1lb of steeping grain. (Usually 1/4lb of Crystal 60 and other grains)
4lbs of DME
1.5 oz UK Fuggles for 60min.
Whirlfloc for 15min.
Wyeast British Ale 1098
3 weeks Primary
5oz of Dextrose
3 weeks bottle
Enjoy!

I have this resting nicely in my secondary... I must say the hydrometer samples were very tasty. session-mild-e-

I used crystal 80L as the dude at the LHBS store told me it would just add to the colour. I wasn't sure if he was B.S'n me so I just thought hey why not try.

You might try some kent golding for your finishing hops or target for bittering, but fuggle is a really good all purpose british hops.

You probably want to take it easy with the grain additions. My understanding of milds is that the grains are more for color than flavor. I would say you are making more of a brown ale, but I may be splitting hairs a bit. Not that a brown is a bad beer either.

As for yeast, if you are using dry yeast, I wouldn't worry to much about what you choose. I've always been partial to using Wyeast 1098 Liquid British Ale Yeast, but that's just a personal preference.

Latest posts

Back