Mild Ale and Aromatic Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chesterbelloc

Reaction score
When brewing a mild ale..

How does MFB aromatic malt compare to generic British mild ale malt?

I believe it is toastier. This is the Special Aromatic that is ~6 L rather than the 20+ L stuff that most people think of when they think of Aromatic, right? You can make a fine Mild with pale malt, although some Special Aromatic certainly could make a nice addition (Rogue did a SMaSH IPA with it that was pretty good).

I believe it is toastier. This is the Special Aromatic that is ~6 L rather than the 20+ L stuff that most people think of when they think of Aromatic, right? You can make a fine Mild with pale malt, although some Special Aromatic certainly could make a nice addition (Rogue did a SMaSH IPA with it that was pretty good).

That's the kind of answer a man likes to hear.

Yes, from what I understand this is the same aromatic malt that was developed by a 19th family malster who was labouring against the growing popularity of thin, watered down lagers.

Clearly then MFB Special Aromatic has enough DP for 100% self-conversion. The spec. sheet doesn't list DP in Linter or WK, rather it says 'usage rate' 50%.

I was thinking of a 50/50 MO and Special Aromatic in a WLP007 5-gallon batch, lightly hopped, and another using GP, and perhaps Optic, Pearl, and/or Halcyon. (strictly for research of course)

Thanks.

Back