Might have screwed up with Orange peels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to try adding some tangerines and cloves to a American Ale style beer tonight, and I figured I'd toss in the peels for some extra flavor.

I got extra flavor all right... like I drank a damn bitter peel. I added some honey to counter, but it's still very much there. Would this flavor ferment out or am I screwed and have to dump it?

I am also considering adding orange juice concentrate to help counter the bitter... any advice?

??? Tangerine peels usually aren't bitter.

At this point, what have you got to lose by fermenting it out and seeing what happens? (it might even need to age for a few months)

I'm trying to remember if I've ever poured out a beer, no matter how nasty it was, lol

How many orange peels did you add in and how big is the batch? What yeast are you using?

Honey is almost 100% fermentable so you wont get much of it after fermentation. Honey will dry a beer out. Orange juice concentrate will probably not ferment the way you think it will. Citrus has a way of doing that.

I'd let it ride. The orange will fade a little though conditioning and it might all blend nicely. Time will tell.

3 tangerines, with a batch size of about 4 gallons final. I think I will let it ride and see what I get.

I was basically using what I had left to more or less fill a fermenter and not have extra grains around. It's Mostly pilsen, with some cara-pils white wheat, flaked maize and citra hops.

It's about to go in the bucket after chilling.

It will taste very bitter prior to fermentation. Let it ride. Ive boiled with orange peel 3 times now and you'll be surprised how it disappears after primary is done. In my experience leaving the orange peels in for more than 2 weeks gave me weird off flavors, so i would rack your beer around that time. Others may disagree, but that has been my experience. Don't worry at all about the bitterness though, it will subside.

Did you zest them or throw the whole peel in? The orange part is a little bitter sweet with big flavor. The white part underneath has little flavor with a harsh bitterness. I always zest my peels.

Yeah, but tangerine peel is not nearly as bitter as orange or lemon or grapefruit. That's why I use tangerines to make marmalade (because I'm lazy)

Back