Midwest SNPA clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyGilmore

Reaction score
Hello folks,

First, I'll just say to any new brewers that my first batch, the Midwest Irish Red, tastes soooo much better after 6 weeks aging than 3 weeks. Try not to drink your whole batch after 14 days in the bottle :)

Next up is the Midwest SNPA clone. I've got an extra pound of DME for some kick and an extra ounce of cascade for dry hopping.

I was looking for some suggestions on when to add the extra DME. I also considered adding half of the LME half way through the boil to keep it lighter. I will be doing about a 4 gallon boil and topping off after.

I will likely not do a secondary, but will dry hop right in the primary and I'd welcome any feedback about that also. From what I've read, many of you do it that way.

Thanks!

I'd add the last half of the extract near the very end of the boil- like at flame out or near it. I find that it gives a less "cooked extract" taste, and more like a commercial beer.

Remember if you're adding more DME, you might want to add more bittering and flavor hops as to keep the correct balance of the bittering in the beer.

I'd add the last half of the extract near the very end of the boil- like at flame out or near it. I find that it gives a less "cooked extract" taste, and more like a commercial beer.

Remember if you're adding more DME, you might want to add more bittering and flavor hops as to keep the correct balance of the bittering in the beer.

I was thinking that, about the balance...but I did only get the one extra ounce of hops that I was planning on using for dry hopping.

Should i forget about the dry hopping and use it in the boil instead? Will a lb of DME cause too big a malt character? Or do I find a LHBS and buy more hops?

I was thinking that, about the balance...but I did only get the one extra ounce of hops that I was planning on using for dry hopping.

Should i forget about the dry hopping and use it in the boil instead? Will a lb of DME cause too big a malt character? Or do I find a LHBS and buy more hops?

If you post the whole recipe, along with your proposed changes, we can run it through some brewing software (or you find a free online brewing calculator) to see what the changes would do to the IBUs.

Back