Midwest hop head IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So I brewed a hop head IPA kit from Midwest last weekend and the directions say to ferment it for 2 weeks and then transfer to a secondary for 10 weeks for conditioning. I don't have a secondary. I usually leave my beers in the primary for 4 weeks then bottle condition for 3-4 weeks. My question is, should I just leave in primary for 10 weeks or primary for 4 weeks then bottle and let condition for 10 weeks? I'll have to dry hop with 2-3 oz of cascade for a week before bottling.

So which why would yield the best results for an IPA? I'm thinking let it sit in primary for 10 weeks, then dry hop and bottle. This way the hoppiness is freshest? Or is it even necessary to condition an IPA for 10 weeks? It used 9 lbs of lme and the initial gravity was 1.070.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have no idea why they recommend that. IPA's should be consumed young IMO, and it's not like it's even that huge at around 1.070. My schedule for that would be something like 2 wk primary, 5-7 day dry hop.

To each there own, I've brewed it twice, first time to 4 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary then bottled. This time around I just left it in the primary for 4 weeks (dry hopped for the last week), and then bottled it Calichusetts has a good write up here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/top-10-tips-super-hoppy-ipa.html and number 10 is "speed it up". Grain to glass in 4-5 weeks. This is my first go at this and it already taste great (I'm on grain to glass in 6 weeks with this batch)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ok, I thought it sounded crazy! I think ill do 2-3 weeks primary, 1 week dry hop, then bottle and condition for 3 weeks. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maybe they just meant 10 more days in the secondary. 10 weeks is silly, but 10 days is reasonable.

My thoughts exactly. Ten weeks is insane for an IPA, 10 days would be pretty standard IMO assuming one was to use secondary.

Latest posts

Back