Microscope from White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvarney5

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the microscope from white labs named "Advanced Microscope MB1250?" It only indicates that it's 100k objective lens. Anyone know what brand? NA (assuming 1.25)? Oil immersion?

If you have ordered and used it, how have you found it to be? Worth purchasing or explore other options? Thanks!

Has anyone purchased the microscope from white labs named "Advanced Microscope MB1250?" It only indicates that it's 100k objective lens. Anyone know what brand? NA (assuming 1.25)? Oil immersion?

If you have ordered and used it, how have you found it to be? Worth purchasing or explore other options? Thanks!

Sorry no experience with this scope but I do recognize the brand on the base. It's Cynmar. Cynmar is a scientific supply company so this is probably made by another company for Cynmar. They have one that looks the same however looks can deceive. http://cynmar.com/stero-microscopes/24484-MICROSCOPE-BINOC-625-SRS-10xWF4x-10x-40xR-100xR-20W.html

Sorry no experience with this scope but I do recognize the brand on the base. It's Cynmar. Cynmar is a scientific supply company so this is probably made by another company for Cynmar. They have one that looks the same however looks can deceive. http://cynmar.com/stero-microscopes/24484-MICROSCOPE-BINOC-625-SRS-10xWF4x-10x-40xR-100xR-20W.html

Thanks trentm. I've seen your posts in other areas and appreciate the info you provide. Any recommendations on a good scope anywhere up to the $700-$800 range? Want to be able to view morphology and bacteria but dont necessarily need phase contrast. Thanks.

Thanks trentm. I've seen your posts in other areas and appreciate the info you provide. Any recommendations on a good scope anywhere up to the $700-$800 range? Want to be able to view morphology and bacteria but dont necessarily need phase contrast. Thanks.

You're welcome. My experience with microscopes is limited to the very nice ($10,000 range) and the very cheap ($200 range). I really don't have any midrange experience. Here's what I use at home http://www.amscope.com/40x-1000x-binocular-biological-microscope-mech-stage-slides.html and it works fine for counting yeast cells and you can differentiate between bacterial rods and cocci which allows you to determine if the bacteria are Lactobacillus or Pediococcus if you know you have one or the other. Of course that has to be under oil at 1000X. At that magnification you can also distinguish organelles in yeast and take accurate measurements. I think (but am not sure) that when you go up to the $700 range from cheaper manufactures like AmScope they are just adding bells and whistles that may not be necessary. From my point of view, it is the optics that matter. So you might consider trying to find a reconditioned brand name scope like Olympus, Nikon, or Zeiss. Something like this perhaps: http://microscopecentral.com/produc...wqCBYBKl8oRk8ZqfuauS1HcppbYTclMpMMhoCglHw_wcB. Milk the Funk is a Facebook group that maintains a Wiki site that's mainly about alternative fermentation techniques. However, there is a Microscope page that has a video that was made by a microbiologist and is about selecting a microscope. You may want to check that out at: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Microscope

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Do you think it's worth buying a nice refurbished, top brand name (Olympus like trentm linked) scope or should I simply look at the cheaper models since they will do what I need it to? Are there issues with breakdown much sooner in the cheaper brands? I'm willing to spend the money but at the same time I dont want to drop $700-800 if it's really not worth doing.

Thanks guys. Do you think it's worth buying a nice refurbished, top brand name (Olympus like trentm linked) scope or should I simply look at the cheaper models since they will do what I need it to? Are there issues with breakdown much sooner in the cheaper brands? I'm willing to spend the money but at the same time I dont want to drop $700-800 if it's really not worth doing.

I would always encourage someone to buy the best microscope one can afford. You will certainly be able to tell the difference between an Olympus and Amscope any day of the week. That said, if all you are doing is cell counting, then the additional money spent will likely not be worth it to you. Spend the extra dough on a nice USB camera, instead. Your eyes will thank you.

If you are going to try to observe budding cells and/or bacteria, then I think you may appreciate the Olympus. I am certainly able to do these latter activities with my Amscope (the one I linked). Even so, I would have loved to have purchased a higher end microscope but with two kids in college and other recent brewery upgrades, I did not want to push the issue with the wife!

I have not owned my Amscope long enough to comment on longevity I can tell you it is very solid and built like a tank. It certainly "feels" like higher end scope and I don't expect any issues. I think your real measuring stick would be optics. Optics made in china will never compare with those made in Japan, U.S. or Germany. So, we are back to: Will your usage justify the additional expense of better optics?

I would always encourage someone to buy the best microscope one can afford. You will certainly be able to tell the difference between an Olympus and Amscope any day of the week. That said, if all you are doing is cell counting, then the additional money spent will likely not be worth it to you. Spend the extra dough on a nice USB camera, instead. Your eyes will thank you.

If you are going to try to observe budding cells and/or bacteria, then I think you may appreciate the Olympus. I am certainly able to do these latter activities with my Amscope (the one I linked). Even so, I would have loved to have purchased a higher end microscope but with two kids in college and other recent brewery upgrades, I did not want to push the issue with the wife!

I have not owned my Amscope long enough to comment on longevity I can tell you it is very solid and built like a tank. It certainly "feels" like higher end scope and I don't expect any issues. I think your real measuring stick would be optics. Optics made in china will never compare with those made in Japan, U.S. or Germany. So, we are back to: Will your usage justify the additional expense of better optics?

I agree with all said above. I've had the Amscope for going on 3 years with no issues. For my purposes it works just fine. If you plan on doing a lot of cell counting, there is some other equipment that, IMO, will be better money spent than on a nicer scope. 1) A brightline hemocytometer (the $20 Amazons are a pain) Cynmar Part #: 012-0015 ($65.00). 2) Two micropipetters (easy and accurate dilutions), 1 - 100 to 1000ul and 10 to 100ul, Cynmar Part # 135-34707 and 13534711, respectively, $49.00 each. 3) Micropipette tips, one rack of 96 1 to 200ul Part #: 132-34924, $7.00 and 100 to 1000ul, Part #: 132-34923, $9.75. 4) Bulk micropipette tips, 100 to 1000ul Part #: 132-34911 $15.50 (1000 pk) and 10 to 200ul, Part #: 132-34902 $15.50 (1000 pk) 5) 1.5ml microcentrifuge tubes, Part #: 132-23125 $10.50 (500 pk).

These items can be found at cynmar.com. The Micropipetters recommended could not be found in their online search. For details download their catalog. #3 above comes in a sterile in a box of 96 tips. #4 are the same tips in bulk and are not sterile. If you have a pressure cooker, you can refill the box and sterilize. If you don't have a pressure cooker, they are highly recommended for home yeast propagation. I would recommend a 20 quart or more in order to fit up to a 4 liter flask. I've had good luck with the Mirro brand but whatever is the cheapest work just fine as long as it's rated for 15psi working pressure. That said, I have but do, (not recomend) built my own bad boy.

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

You guys rock. Thanks so much for the helpful info. I think I'll go that route with the cheaper scope and the additional accessories because i do plan on plating, propogating, etc as well. Going to buy myself a pressure cooker also. But i dont think anything will match that beastly homemade one there!

I agree with all said above. I've had the Amscope for going on 3 years with no issues. For my purposes it works just fine. If you plan on doing a lot of cell counting, there is some other equipment that, IMO, will be better money spent than on a nicer scope. 1) A brightline hemocytometer (the $20 Amazons are a pain) Cynmar Part #: 012-0015 ($65.00). 2) Two micropipetters (easy and accurate dilutions), 1 - 100 to 1000ul and 10 to 100ul, Cynmar Part # 135-34707 and 13534711, respectively, $49.00 each. 3) Micropipette tips, one rack of 96 1 to 200ul Part #: 132-34924, $7.00 and 100 to 1000ul, Part #: 132-34923, $9.75. 4) Bulk micropipette tips, 100 to 1000ul Part #: 132-34911 $15.50 (1000 pk) and 10 to 200ul, Part #: 132-34902 $15.50 (1000 pk) 5) 1.5ml microcentrifuge tubes, Part #: 132-23125 $10.50 (500 pk).

These items can be found at cynmar.com. The Micropipetters recommended could not be found in their online search. For details download their catalog. #3 above comes in a sterile in a box of 96 tips. #4 are the same tips in bulk and are not sterile. If you have a pressure cooker, you can refill the box and sterilize. If you don't have a pressure cooker, they are highly recommended for home yeast propagation. I would recommend a 20 quart or more in order to fit up to a 4 liter flask. I've had good luck with the Mirro brand but whatever is the cheapest work just fine as long as it's rated for 15psi working pressure. That said, I have but do, (not recomend) built my own bad boy.

Wow! Impressive set-up. Also, thanks for the info on the pipettes. I have been in search of some micros and they look like just the ticket.

You guys rock. Thanks so much for the helpful info. I think I'll go that route with the cheaper scope and the additional accessories because i do plan on plating, propogating, etc as well. Going to buy myself a pressure cooker also. But i dont think anything will match that beastly homemade one there!

If you could, let us know what you end up getting. I would be very interested to hear your experience/impressions of whichever scope you end up with.

Just stumbled across this page and wanted to share my thoughts as I have used many microscopes in the past including the major manufactures like Leica, Olympus, Accu-Scope, and the internet brands like AmScope. The AmScope microscopes are attractive due to price and they will work and get the job done but there are a few things to consider. AmScope microscopes are lower quality and you really do not know what you are missing until you use a better make/model microscope that offers higher resolution and better contrast. Another thing to consider with AmScope is parts and support. Nothing is more expensive than something you need to buy twice. AmScope simply does not offer spare parts to maintain or repair their scopes. They only offer replacement objectives and eyepieces. They do offer a 5 year warranty but after that, out of luck. With other major brands you can get parts to maintain and keep your microscope running so you do not need to purchase another. You do not necessarily need to spend 2k on a Leica or an Olympus to get a high quality microscope. The current microscope I use is the Accu-Scope EXC-120 ( https://microscopecentral.com/products/accu-scope-exc-120-led-microscope ). It's a solid well built LED microscope with good optics and not much more than the AmScope microscopes. They also make one in phase contrast if you need that.

Regarding a used microscope. You can't go wrong with a used name brand microscope from a reputable supplier that refurbishes them, supports them, and offers a warranty. Sure you can find them less experiences on ebay but generally they are in poor condition and no warranty. You will save yourself stress and time by paying a little more and getting it from a reputable dealer, just like buying a used car - you don't know what's going on behind the hood. Generally a used microscope will be much higher quality than a new AmScope microscope.

Latest posts

Back