Microscope brand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spamman1368

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to start a small yeast lab and was wondering if anyone had a preference in microscope brands? I'm definitely getting something with up to 1000x magnification and probably just a monocular instead of binocular construction (unless you feel otherwise). I just don't want to drop a couple hundred bucks on junk.

If you are buying new, a couple of hundred dollars will only buy you junk. Try searching ebay for microscopes, stick to known brands like Olympus, Nikon, Zeiss, Motic, or Leica. Avoid AmScope if you want quality.

You will find that you don't use 1000X with yeast - there is little need for it and it is a pain because of the necessity to use immersion oil at that magnification. Don't waste money on the 'empty magnification' (a large blurry image tells you no more than a small blurry image) at the expense of good optics for the lower magnifications.

Where you will find 1000X is necessary is when dealing with bacteria and we hope you won't have to do that.

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated info.

Passed, any particular reason you prefer binocular? And do you have any links to lens literature?

Ajdelange, thank you for the tip. I'm actually looking for a scope with 1000x because, even though I'm a homebrewer right now, I'm slowly building up my lab equipment and pilot system and self-training myself to do preventative maintenance and QA/QC for my future brewery (5 years down the road). I'm also planning on taking the BSI course at some point next year and would like to have a decent knowledge on how to do this stuff before hand so I better understand the course. But again, thank you for the tip!

Last, holy crap this stuff is expensive!! Outside, your link blew me away! I thought I could get a decent scope for ~$300-$400, but not anymore! I'll probably get one like they have in that link anyway, but I'll really have to make sure what I'm buying is what I want now! Good link, thank you.

Any more info on this topic is much appreciated!

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated info.

Passed, any particular reason you prefer binocular? And do you have any links to lens literature?

Ajdelange, thank you for the tip. I'm actually looking for a scope with 1000x because, even though I'm a homebrewer right now, I'm slowly building up my lab equipment and pilot system and self-training myself to do preventative maintenance and QA/QC for my future brewery (5 years down the road). I'm also planning on taking the BSI course at some point next year and would like to have a decent knowledge on how to do this stuff before hand so I better understand the course. But again, thank you for the tip!

Last, holy crap this stuff is expensive!! Outside, your link blew me away! I thought I could get a decent scope for ~$300-$400, but not anymore! I'll probably get one like they have in that link anyway, but I'll really have to make sure what I'm buying is what I want now! Good link, thank you.

Any more info on this topic is much appreciated!

You can check out this thread. There was a lot of good suggestions here. I bought my scope for $500 on ebay.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/pics-yeast-under-my-new-scope-273342/

Back