micro managed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took it for about 10 years then went in to talk. At the end of the discussion I said I was going home and would not be back! 3 years later I'm making a little over half as much, but no stress and much happier.

Got another job....

Seriously, it won't stop. If you can endure it then more power to you, but I don't want to work with someone who feels they have to jump in constantly and tell me how X should be done. If they want to be that involved then they should just do it themselves and save me the trouble.

Micro back.

Tell them every single thing you are doing and ask for approval to do anything (any call, any e-mail, and bathroom break, etc).

Fight fire with fire. :p

Micro back.

Tell them every single thing you are doing and ask for approval to do anything (any call, any e-mail, and bathroom break, etc).

That doesn't always work. It will likely empower the micro-manager and make them believe that you can't make a decision and need further monitoring. Not saying it will work in all cases, but a buddy of mine got his boss to quit when he told him to back off and let him do it his way, that's what they hired him for. Then, every time the boss jumped in, he would simply pass the work over to him and walk away. After about a half dozen times, the boss stayed back. He was respectful about it, but firm.

IME, there are two (sometimes closely-related) reasons someone is micromanaged. First is that they haven't earned the trust of their manager. Maybe they've been there for a short time, or made a big mistake recently. In that case, it's just a matter of time before the manager backs off.

The second reason is that the manager just has control issues. He/she won't ever trust any employees to work autonomously. Unfortunately in that case, there is nothing you can do to deal with it...you just have get a new manager.

It's usually not hard to tell which is which. Just ask yourself: are you the only micromanaged employee?

IME, there are two (sometimes closely-related) reasons someone is micromanaged. First is that they haven't earned the trust of their manager. Maybe they've been there for a short time, or made a big mistake recently. In that case, it's just a matter of time before the manager backs off.

The second reason is that the manager just has control issues. He/she won't ever trust any employees to work autonomously. Unfortunately in that case, there is nothing you can do to deal with it...you just have get a new manager.

It's usually not hard to tell which is which. Just ask yourself: are you the only micromanaged employee?

I'm not the only one...

I work in collections i was recently moved to another aspect of the business but the person taking my spot had surgery, so for the time being I'm pulling double duty... Between that and the new manager micromanaging im getting pretty stressed out... Most collectors have $3 mill worth of accounts i have $17

Drugs/alcohol

AMEN! Drink more beer! Make more beer! :drunk:

Joking aside - it is a tough spot. I think others comments of "can you live with it..." is spot on. If you find yourself waking up in the morning hating your job... and yourself for having that job... then you gotta make some changes for your own sake. Have a talk with your boss and just plainly ask where the need to micromanage is coming from. That may be enlightening, maybe in ways you don't completely expect. If you are brushed off or simply met with "constructive feedback", try talking to your boss's boss - or really anyone who will listen at your boss's level. It is worth trying to skin that cat in more than one way.

All I know is that internalizing it only bothers you. The dude that is being a dick could careless that he is being a dick (I mean, he is a dick after all so why would he care).

Good luck, man!

I was once told "we don't micromanage, we "picomanage"."

I replied with: "And now you're looking for another systems engineer." And I left. After leaving an upper-decker.

AZ_IPA said:
Micro back.

That's exactly what I do...makes me a PITA and I love the look on my bosses face every time

Kindly questioning the micromanaging, asking if they trust you to do the job you were hired for. If the questioning approach does not work or at least get you a good reason for it, going to other boss level people can help. The last thing you want to do is get petty. Burning bridges is rarely a good idea.

AZ_IPA said:
Micro back.

This actually does work. If you CC PMs and team members it helps to publicly embarrass the offender.

I don't respond we'll to micromanagement and was too curt with a PM. She doesn't ask me to work on her projects but I've got plenty of my own. I feel bad for her family because I know she can't turn it off outside of work.

Micro back.

Yep. We've this one engineer who did it so much that now he can't get the time of day without spending half the day asking us in painstaking detail. He's taking to doing things for himself now.

I'm not the only one...

I work in collections i was recently moved to another aspect of the business but the person taking my spot had surgery, so for the time being I'm pulling double duty... Between that and the new manager micromanaging im getting pretty stressed out... Most collectors have $3 mill worth of accounts i have $17

seventeen-dollar-gangster.jpg

For those of you who are micro managed how do you deal with it?

I once had a boss who tried to micromanage with me. I calmly explained that I would do a much better job, much more quickly if she would simply either tell me what she wanted done, or gave me written instructions with a deadline & left me alone to do my job. She did as I asked & never tried to pull that crap again; which was exactly what I wanted. Might work for you too.
Regards, GF.

Back