Mexican Chocolate Stout Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushi387

Reaction score
Hey all,

I put together a recipe for a spicy chocolate stout (extract) and wanted to get your feedback on the flavor profile - I've never used cayenne or vanilla bean in my brews before so I'm not sure what to expect.

In terms of spiciness I wanted something along the lines more of Abuelita's Mexican Hot Chocolate than those crazy jalapeno beers i've seen.

I added the vanilla bean to balance out the spices but I don't know if it will just provide the wrong contrast in flavors in this case?

And lastly - on a lot of forums I've read to either use cocoa or chocolate malt but I use both in this recipe - thoughts on whether it will be too overwhelming?

5 gallon brew

6.5lb briess dark liquid extract
1 lb briess 2 row caramel 120
0.5lb roasted barley
0.5lb crisp black malt ( is this in any way different from just regular black malt?? i am using brewmasterswarehouse brew builder and this was the only option they had)
0.5lb crisp chocolate malt

1.0oz galena @60 mins
0.5oz kent goldings @ 30 min
0.5oz kent goldings @ 5 mins

1 vanilla bean @ 15 min
0.5lb cocoa powder @15 min
1 tbsp (not sure if i should just do 1/2 tbsp given how strong spices tend to come out?) cinnamon @ 15 min
1/2 tbsp cayenne @ 15 min

0.25lb of maltodextrin (when is this supposed to be added btw? also first time using this - i have read it helps with the body and the last time i made a chocolate stout it was much thinner than i would have liked and not enough head)

white labs irish ale (WLP004)

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

.5lb of cocoa is way too much. Try adding a few oz to secondary along with the vanilla and other spices. Cinnamon is a powerful spice, try using some cinnamon sticks in secondary. You can always rack out of secondary when flavor gets to where you want it.

thanks for the quick response!

I usually don't do a secondary anymore, i typically just leave it in the primary fermenter for a couple of weeks then bottle - is it ok to add all of the spices and the cocoa into that mixture say halfway through fermentation? and when i add all of it - is the best way to just boil it all in some water for 15 min and add the entire mixture in?

Def careful with cinnamon. I would pasteurize the spice before addition, (above 165 for like 45 ish minutes) exact times exist but its what I use with spiced wines and not had a problem. Use an ice bath as normal and add when you would otherwise secondary..... I'm still in the Revvy primary camp but it's a reference. Might even think of doing a tea infusion instead of particle addition as you beer will be clearer/cleaner.

Whoa! I am way late on replying to this. I must have missed the question - I can't find my notes from this brew but I remember it turned out well in terms of overall flavoring. The only thing was the spicy notes didn't come out quite as strongly as I'd hoped.

I saw this post because I'm getting ready to try a mexican chocolate stout again and have been searching the boards for good suggestions.

i saw a recipe with the following:
0.50 tsp Ancho Pepper 21 days Secondary
0.50 tsp Cayenne Pepper 21 days Secondary

I'm going to try this out I think this time around and see if it gives it more of a kick. I'm thinking the ancho pepper might do be stronger than the cayenne.

I had good results using whole dried anchos, some cinnamon, cocao nibs, and lactose when I did one of these

Any suggestions on what would provide some heat? I'm aiming for a kick that hits at the back of the throat at the very end - not intense front of the mouth heat a la buffalo wings or indian food.

Basically dark chocolate with chili, like mi abuelita's hot chocolate, except in beer form.

I added 3 anchos and then 3 fresh chopped serranos for heat. wasnt overpowering but you could feel it on your tongue after a sip

Just kegged something similar, but I added coffee to mine. I used probably like 1.5 oz ancho, chopped up and seeds/stems removed. It came in a 2 oz package from the grocery store. It gave a very subtle flavor, but I'm pleased with it. If you wanted a more powerful chile presence, I'd use more ancho in conjunction with something else for some heat like m00ps said. I soaked the ancho in vodka for a day or two with a couple cinnamon sticks, but the cinnamon gets lost with the chocolate, coffee, and ancho.

I'm getting ready to try one of these to have it by winter. Did your original recipe on the op here stay the same for the most part?

Latest posts

Back