Mexian Vienna lager input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
I am looking to brew up a Mexican style Vienna lager this weekend. Just a small batch. Here is what I am looking at, suggestions welcome.

What I have on hand, 2-row, Pale ale, Vienna, Pilsner, Aromatic, Munich, red wheat, rye, 20/40/60/90/120L crystal malt, coffee, chocolate, roasted barley, biscuit and victory.

I am thinking 2.5G batch, 3 gallon boil (my efficiency tends to run high, so it may end up being close to a 3 gallon batch in the end as I've generally been getting about 82-85% efficiency, not the 75% that this recipe is based on).

2.5lbs Pilsner
1.5lbs Vienna
4oz aromatic
2oz Crystal 40L
4oz Victory
.5oz generic noble hop 3.5AA 60 minutes (I can't recall the name of the hop now, it is a French noble variety that I have on hand and is close to Spalt in aroma/flavor)
.5oz generic noble hop 3.5AA 10 minutes

WLP830 German Lager yeast (it is that or W34-70 is what I have on hand for lager yeasts)

Gets me about 1.050OG, 1.014FG, 8SRM and about 20IBU

Thoughts? Been awhile since I've done any Viennas and the last time I did a very British Vienna lager (Pale ale malt, a bit more crystal and 60L and a bunch of Admiral hops, no Victory malt).

Oh cool, I found the website... There's a lot of good info on Mexican beers, here.

Except I thought he had recipes for mexican beers there as well...you might have to cruise around the pages.

Thanks!

Website did have a list of recipes and at least one of them was a Mexican Vienna.

I think maybe what I'll do is cut out the Victory, leave everything else, but add maybe 1/4-1/2oz of chocolate malt for color.

I really shouldn't read this forum. My list of recipes to brew keeps getting longer and longer and I don't have the time or fermenter space to keep up. I lived in Arizona for 5 years before moving back to Michigan. I fell in love with the joys of a good Mexican Vienna lager with a slice of lime. That and some good carnitas and I'll be set.

Latest posts

Back