Metallic taste, can it be my Mash Tuns Stainless Steel braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Can a stainless steel braid be imparting a metallic taste in my brews? Seems to be there with every batch I've made since converting my cooler. Made my braid from a dishwasher hoses outer SS braid wrapping.

I'm thinking of going over to a Brew Bag to get rid of this annoying flavor defect.

If it's truly stainless steel, then no it will not impart any flavor. I've seen braided hosing that was not stainless steel. I've also seen braided hose that had some kind of bonding agent on it to hold it to the hose. Did you clean the heck out of it before using it?

If it's truly stainless steel, then no it will not impart any flavor. I've seen braided hosing that was not stainless steel. I've also seen braided hose that had some kind of bonding agent on it to hold it to the hose. Did you clean the heck out of it before using it?

I washed it well in Oxi-Clean Free. It was not stuck to the plastic tube it encased. I got it from Home Depot, and it said stainless steel on the package.

No braid for me.
My modified kettle setup uses a domed false bottom with a right-angle 1/2" steel fitting. I use silicone tubing to connect that to the drip line screwed into the ball valve for drainage. It's much like the cheaper Chapman stainless mash tun setup only I'm using an Anvil kettle.

What fittings/valve setup is the braid connected to? Might be the source also.

I use a brew bag in my mash tun and love it. Full disclosure though: the bag does sit on top of my original SS false bottom. What I love about the brew bag is the easy clean up. Super easy and fast! Pull it out, dump the grains, rinse the bag.

We probably all know this “Metallic
• Tastes/Smells Like: Metal, mainly iron, also described as tasting like pennies or blood, Felt on the front of the mouth and back of the throat
• Possible Causes: Wort being boiled in unprocessed metals, mainly iron, but also aluminum, and steel (excluding stainless) is usually the source of metallic flavors. Metallic avors can also be extracted from metal brewing equipment, bottle caps and/or kegs. Using water that has high levels of iron will impart iron avors. Improperly stored grains can also cause metallic off avors.
• How to Avoid: Use stainless steel pots and brewing equipment ( ttings, spoons, etc.) when possible. Avoid using iron for anything that will be coming in contact with beer/wort. If using a ceramic coated steel pot, always check for cracks or scratches before using. Stainless steel will not give off any metallic a- vors. Aluminum pots will generally only cause metal- lic avors when using alkaline water with a pH over 9. If using an aluminum pot, you can “bake” the pot in an oven at 250oF for 6 hours to increase the protec- tive oxides. Always use fresh, properly stored grain. Avoid using water with iron in it, such as un ltered well water.”

So i was thinking, if your beer is kegged, i would suspect the shank. Some of these are chromed, not stainless. That can impart a metallic taste when the chrome wears off.

Latest posts

Back