Metallic odor/aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheFlyBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As posted in other threads, I just started AG brewing with a full Ss Brewtech system. SS mash tun, HLT, kettle, and two unitanks. I thoroughly cleaned everything with TSP, rinsed, then ran Sani Clean through all the components. I have brewed three beers. The first I tried to burst carb. It had a metallic aftertaste, and odor in the foam. I backed that off to nearly no carbonation, but metallic aftertaste was still there. I still drank the flat beer though! After all, it was my first brew, and I was still proud that I made al-key-hal. :p

For water, I am just using tap run through two filters as I've been told that the Southern California (EMWD) water is "pretty good" for brewing. The two filter system has a copper pipe between the two filters, but that is the only non SS in my system.

I've heard that improperly stored grains can cause a metallic taste, but I've bought my grains from two different suppliers with the same results.

My second brew was an Irish Red Ale recipe from this forum. It had very good taste, but the metallic aftertaste was there.

Third brew was a honey blonde ale. This one is partially naturally carbonated. GREAT taste. My wife loves it, but it has the metallic odor from the head. Though it doesn't have the aftertaste. That's great, but I don't think I've had any commercially produced beer that had the odor in the head of the beer, and definitely no aftertaste.

I keep wondering if the water is the problem. Thinking about going with RO water and building it back up for the beer style.

I also wonder about the steel CO2 tank I'm using to slow carb. I've read in many places that the CO2 cannot transfer a metal taste into the beer, but that is still in the back of my mind.

Any suggestions on what I should look at? And yes...I am a perfectionist.

Thanks,
Fly

hmm...sometimes too much salt in the water can taste metallic. What's your Na content?
Otherwise you may want to research thoroughly passivating your SS...

I had a batch taste metallic once, never really sure why, but we let it sit/age for a couple months and it settle out and taste fine after that.

Do you use bleach to clean? If left for too long it can corrode the metals even ss a little. If not rinsed proper that could be imposing some flavors. But would be more extreme cases.

What's your Na content?
That I do not know. I went by the word of a local brewer, and he assured me it was good for brewing. Haven't tasted any other local homebrews to see if they are getting the same result. I'm strongly considering starting with distilled or RO water to eliminate the water as the source of the issue.

Do you use bleach to clean?
No. Never. Only PBW.

Are you letting your brews condition or age at all?

A couple weeks cold crashed sometimes does wonders with perceived off flavors, even for ales.

Are you letting your brews condition or age at all?

A couple weeks cold crashed sometimes does wonders with perceived off flavors, even for ales.
I am. Call me very busy or just lazy, but I have left the beer in the unitank chilled to at least 38ºF for a few weeks. Like I said, this last one is only partially naturally carbonated, and it still has the odor from the head.

If I have understood correctly metallic off flavors are going to increase when beer is conditioned for extended period.

I would try RO water for next brew. That would be easy to single out if the water is the problem. Your brewing equipment should be safe as it is SS. What kind of equipment do you use during your brew day? Any metal stuff, paddles etc.?

If I have understood correctly metallic off flavors are going to increase when beer is conditioned for extended period.
Metallic odor/aftertaste is present when it has only been in the fermenter for a week. Doesn't seem to increase over time.

What kind of equipment do you use during your brew day? Any metal stuff, paddles etc.?
Everything is SS. SS paddle, valves...even the hose clamps are SS.
Edit: As posted in first post, the only other metal is the copper between the two water filters. The first filter is a particle and the second is a carbon filter.

Last edited:
You're using 5-Star Saniclean correct?

Did you mix it at the proper ratio of 2oz per 5 gallons?

Have you soaked any other metals than stainless steel in your sanitizer?

The only time I have gotten a metallic taste like that is when I accidentally left a piece of tubing with a hose clamp soaking in my star san. It made everything the star san touched give off a metallic odor.

If your water doesn't taste or smell metallic, then I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

You're using 5-Star Saniclean correct?
Yes

Did you mix it at the proper ratio of 2oz per 5 gallons?
Yes

Have you soaked any other metals than stainless steel in your sanitizer?
Pretty sure I have not.

The only time I have gotten a metallic taste like that is when I accidentally left a piece of tubing with a hose clamp soaking in my star san. It made everything the star san touched give off a metallic odor.
Hmmm...I will have to think about that one. Though all my hose clamps are SS.

Back