Metallic flavor in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrpilot

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been brewing for about 10 years now. Getting pretty good at it, at least I think so. Anyway, I just moved to Montana and started brewing again.

I've made about 5 batches of beer, blonde ales to oatmeal stouts, and the one thing I've noticed since my relocation to Montana is that I am now getting a distinct Metallic aroma and flavor to most of my beers. Never had this before in Minnesota.

The only thing that I have changed in my brew process is that I bought a wort chiller. I didn't think that using a copper tubing wort chiller would add any "Flavor" to my brew.

I use bottled spring water.

So the $100 questions is what might be causing this off flavor and what can I do about it?
Will it go away after lengthy sit in botlle?

Frustrated in MT

I would try without the chiller just to be sure.....if you still have a problem I would then check the spring water. Some "spring" waters are actually tap water bottled up nice and pretty. There was a big lawsuit about Desani (coke product) actually being generic tap water, not spring at all.

Welcome :mug:
Can't helps with the taste. The chiller shouldn't cause it, but you say that you didn't change anything else. Try the exact same batch without the chiller and see what happens.

I would try without the chiller just to be sure.....if you still have a problem I would then check the spring water. Some "spring" waters are actually tap water bottled up nice and pretty. There was a big lawsuit about Desani (coke product) actually being generic tap water, not spring at all.

One place I heard of used well water and called it spring water. They claimed they just took it out of the ground BEFORE it could get to the spring so it was the same water.... hmmm.....

What are you using as your sanitizer? I know that I have a similar issue with my brews lately, and that will be my next step to alleviate this.
-Me

The chiller is a non-issue. Check the pH of the "spring water" (high alkalinity and hard water cause this problem), and switch to late extract additions if you're not already doing so.

Back