Metal or plastic faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKinney777

Reaction score
I'm putting together a frig conversion and need advice on a faucet.

The Perl SS 525 or the CM Becker X2?

They both cost around the same and that's not an issue for me.
German versus USA engineering.
Metal versus plastic.

It was told to me that a commercial setup with a glycol cooling system is fine to use metal faucets.
But, a home set up, that has minimal use (a couple pours a night or several pours a week) would be better served with the Becker or any non-metalic faucet.
The metal faucet acting like a heat sink, warming up the beer in the shank also.
I understand that cold beer hitting a warm faucet causes foaming. This might have some validity especially in the Arizona summers when the inside of the house is in the high 70s.

So, with all the knowledge and experience out there...which one should I get and why?

I really don't see being metal to be an issue. In all reality I would rather it be metal. I have never had any foaming problems when I pull 1-2 pints/night. My vote is to got with the Perlick 525s or the 575s. I have the 575s and love them. They would give you the creamer option like the plastic faucet you linked above.

I just built my kegerator(converted my old kitchen regerigerator) and haven't had any issues with the SS perlicks, and I pour between 0-2 beers a night on average(that's week nights, a few more on weekends)

However, after seeing this I went downstairs and grabbed my taps(that sounds bad) and they were definatley colder than the room. I've been running around all weekend and actually haven't had any beer, so the taps haven't been used for about 4 days and they are still being chilled from the fridge.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Perlick, I just needed a bit of a push and this first hand testimony is the best advice you can get.
Now the question is, should I go with the 575 for creamer option.
Also, wonder if it helps to have the shank a bit longer, maybe an inch or two?

Any advice on keg couplers? Make, model etc.

I wouldn't worry about the length of the shank unless you need it to be longer for clearance purposes. I like the 575 (creamer) faucets. They are only a few $ more. Some say you can do the same thing by cracking the seal of a 525 to add more head to the beer. I don't have any experience with that.

I wouldn't worry about the length of the shank unless you need it to be longer for clearance purposes. I like the 575 (creamer) faucets. They are only a few $ more. Some say you can do the same thing by cracking the seal of a 525 to add more head to the beer. I don't have any experience with that.

So do you actually have and use the 575? I think I understand what you mean about cracking the 525, kinda like feathering a clutch and blipping the throttle.

How about couplers? What features should I be looking for?
CO2 regulator, should it be double or jus the single (to read the keg pressure)?

So do you actually have and use the 575? I think I understand what you mean about cracking the 525, kinda like feathering a clutch and blipping the throttle.

How about couplers? What features should I be looking for?
CO2 regulator, should it be double or jus the single (to read the keg pressure)?

I have 6 Perlick 575s. I love them. As far as if cracking the valve on the 525 and emulating the 575. I would say it probably would add additional head but the creamer function on the 575 adds a very nice "creamy" head and really sets off the presentation and aroma of the beer. I'm not sure how closely the 525 would emulate this but for the small price difference I wanted the 575s.

When you ask about couplers what are you asking about specifically? Are you asking about the keg coupler? Are you using ball lock, pin lock or sanke kegs?

I don't have much of an opinion on regulators. I would have a dual gauge simply to tell when the tank is empty but other than this they are rather non-functional.

I'll be using Sankey kegs mostly and just wondering which manufacturer has a good solid product.
MicroMatic has a model 7485ES that looks pretty decent.
Also, has anyone wished they had bought a 90 degree elbow nipple to come off of the keg coupler to maybe not kink the hose or to have more room above the keg for what ever reason?

The comments I've read about the tank gauge all indicate that the damn thing runs out real quickly and the gauge just confirms that, doesn't give you much notice.

Scut Monkey: Do you always want to put a creamy head on every beer? If so, then I'll get the 575, but if it's just for show, I'd rather have the simpler version of the faucet...maybe less moving parts to fail???

This is the best question I have.
What do you guys use for drip trays on the frig door?
The ones with the full back splash that attach using the shanks are expensive.
Do the ones with the lower back splash that just attach to the frig with 3 screws work just as well and is having the drain a real plus?

I just use the smaller back splash and have never had a problem, however I also never run the tap into it and I also have yet to get more than just a little foam overflowing from the glass so there isn't really any "splash" to worry about. I don't have a drain as I didn't have anywhere to run one, I just fold up a piece of paper towel and stick it under the grate and then every so often throw it out and put a new paper towel in.

I would say I use the creamer function of the 575 50% of the time. I think there is only one extra moving part to the creamer faucet where the ball has a spring mechansim that when pressed opens up a tiny orrifice that allows the beer to jet out and release the CO2 into tiny bubbles.

Do a search for the drip tray. A lot (myself included) use the $14 19" drip trays available from some off the wall vendor. You will see them in many pictures of keezers. The only downside is there is no backsplash but I really don't see a need for a back splash unless you are drunk and missing the glass or your pulling 300 pints a night at a bar. I really dosen't get that messy.

Edit: I found the site for you http://www.barproducts.com/. It's a bad site and I can't link to the product directly but do a search on the site for drip tray and you will see it.

Back