Metal Buckets - Any Sources/Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking for a metal bucket or two. I have some normal 5 gallon buckets but when I put chiller runoff water I feel them getting soft from the temperature. Also, just got an Anvil Foundry and the mash basket does not fit in a normal 5 gallon bucket to let drain empty before removing the grain bag.

I tried one of the 8 gallon galvanized pails from Lowes and the thing did not hold water. So I am on the lookout for affordable 7-8 gallon buckets made of metal.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

B25EA679-E0C8-44F1-8BB1-B902969BC35E.jpeg

Check the plastic stamp on your bucket. Some common buckets are not necessarily HDPE (#2). HDPE buckets are good past boiling (to 248° F repeatedly). Not all plastic buckets are HDPE though, so if you have a different kind, that could cause issues.

For larger buckets, I know BGS makes 7.8 gallon fermenting/bottling buckets that are 14" in diameter and HDPE #2, so that may be a solution as well.

If there's a small paint manufacturer in your area they might be willing to sell you a couple metal buckets. EDIT - if you do this, ask for lined buckets. The unlined ones will rust.

Last edited:
Check the plastic stamp on your bucket. Some common buckets are not necessarily HDPE (#2). HDPE buckets are good past boiling (to 248° F repeatedly). Not all plastic buckets are HDPE though, so if you have a different kind, that could cause issues.

For larger buckets, I know BGS makes 7.8 gallon fermenting/bottling buckets that are 14" in diameter and HDPE #2, so that may be a solution as well.
^^^^This

Back