messing up a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkanscholl

Reaction score
i think i just messed up. i was converting a scottish ale down to a 2.5 gallon recipe from a 5.5 gallon.
the mistake was when i asked the homebrew shop owner to pull my grain bill. i asked for 1.5 lbs of pale chocolate instead of 1.5 oz.
Can anyone tell me what it would do to my scottish ale recipe. and i already have the grains out of the wort

I think you turned your scottish ale into a porter. Actually that's about 2-3 times as much chocolate as I'd use in a porter.

I think you turned your scottish ale into a porter. Actually that's about 2-3 times as much chocolate as I'd use in a porter.

I thought the same. I did a milk stout last week and used a 1/2 lbs. Can only imagine the Hershey syrup you've done up :cross:

the grain bill is
3.3 golden light lme
.5lb caramel 40l
.25lb honey malt
.13 caramel 120l
1.5lb pale chocolate malt

(edit oops)Without knowing the OPs full grain bill we can't give an accurate answer. It won't be ideal and it absolutely isn't anything at all to do with a scottish ale but if the roasted grain isn't more than 25% of the bill it should be drinkable.

I'm not sure if adding some molasses would be a good idea or just make things worse? What probably is a good idea is to boil up 1-2 lbs of light malt extract and add that to the fermenter to lessen the proportion/% of choc. malt in the brew.

Yup, That is a lot of Pale Chocolate. I used 7oz/5 gallons and felt it was a bit too much. Another time I used 6oz/8.5 gallons, that was borderline too much.

Let us know how it comes out.

Well update on the recipe
i added sterilized water up to 4 gallons which brought the og down to 1.036. It has been fermenting almost a week. when i pulled a sample on yesterday and tasted it, it was a very roasty flavor but seemed a bit thin

i need a little more advice. it has been over a week in the primary and i took a hydrometer reading as i put it into the secondary. I was 1.021 should i pitch more yeast to bring it down further?

Back