Messed-up my grain bill, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobo

Reaction score
Not thinking, I messed up my grain bill on my 1st all-grain attempt.
I ordered the grain in whole pounds, thinking I’d measure them out later.
Instead they ground and mixed them all together (my fault).
----------------------------------------------
5 Gallon Nut Brown Ale recipe called for:
12# American 2-row malt
1# Wheat malt
1.25# CaraPils malt
1.25# Crystal malt
.5# Chocolate malt

Total: 16#
What I have ground and mixed:
12# American 2-row malt
1# Wheat malt
2# Cara Pils malt
2# Crystal malt
1# Chocolate malt

Total: 18#
A 2.25# difference
Obviously I can’t separate them now. Should I reduce the total weight of the grain bill to to the original 16# and hope for the best? What do you think?

Last edited:
You could probably split the batch and add a few more pounds of 2 row and wheat malt

Assuming this is an option, I like what @alexacuna suggests. It gets you very close to your original recipe and only requires some additional base malt.

If it's not possible without another online order and waiting, then just roll with it and hope for the best.

What is the Crystal? Assuming 40L, it does look like the color would be within range if you just brew it as is.

However, putting your recipe in Brewgr at 70% efficiency, your recipe appears to be starting at about 1.080 and the extra grains take it up to 1.099 with a FG around 1.020. I would also be inclined to splitting it up and adding some two row and/or wheat to get to your original ratio, but if you are going for a big and sweet beer, go for it.

yeah I take it back. The additional base malt sounds like the best plan...
BeerSmith says your chocolate is 5.6% of your mash addition, the color is still in style range, but you are at 1.092 OG (ABV≈9.14%). The style tops out at 1.060 OG (ABV 6.2%). So it would be safest to split it in half and run with it IMHO. Then you are in bounds on both color and OG (ABV≈4.5%). Granted you are on the lower bound of both, but... It would make a Brown Ale.

So I'd say either (2) 5gal batches as is, or add 2lbs 2row, 1lb Wheat, 0.5lb cara, 0.5lbs crystal and then do (2) 5gal batches.

second option would be closest. That 12# of 2row is ALOT of 2row for the style.

But I hope yer Beerz guud!:tank:

The only malt I'd worry about is the extra crystal. It'll be sweet. So either you brew it and expect a big sweet beer, or do like others have suggested and cut it in half + add some more base malt.

If it were me, I would brew it as is. When I have a planned brew date it's practically set in stone. Mash low, add lots of oxygen, pitch plenty of healthy yeast, ferment cool and ramp up. I bet you drink every last one of them.

4275128.jpg

The only malt I'd worry about is the extra crystal. It'll be sweet. So either you brew it and expect a big sweet beer, or do like others have suggested and cut it in half + add some more base malt.

If it were me, I would brew it as is. When I have a planned brew date it's practically set in stone. Mash low, add lots of oxygen, pitch plenty of healthy yeast, ferment cool and ramp up. I bet you drink every last one of them.

4275128.jpg

All good advice.

Low mash temp will leave more un-fermentable sugar behind in the spent grain.

The oxygen - as I understand is to grow the yeast -

Low temps let the yeast work without causing any off flavors.

Thanks for the great suggestions!! And, information.
I decided to split it in half an make 2 batches!!!! And, stick to the original Jamil Zainasheff's "Janet's Brown Ale" Recipe.

or perhaps if you're brewing it as-is, add some dex to try and balance out the sweetness of the crystal

True story, Several years ago (so exact details are lost) I had SWMBO go to NB and pick up my grain bill. When she came back she asked me to go to the car and bring the grains into the garage.

I thought the what the...? I opened the hatch and found a rather large plastic bag full of my 18# grain bill ground and mixed together. OMG!!!!!

Sat there thinking, if you want the job done right etc, etc.

Then, WTH! brew it!! I have to say it was one of the best beers I've done!!

If I remember it was originally supposed to be a brown ale. I lost that recipe to PC crash, to this day I wish I could duplicate that recipe.

I do remember the tap handle label, F'd up ale!

True story, Several years ago (so exact details are lost) I had SWMBO go to NB and pick up my grain bill. When she came back she asked me to go to the car and bring the grains into the garage.

I thought the what the...? I opened the hatch and found a rather large plastic bag full of my 18# grain bill ground and mixed together. OMG!!!!!

Sat there thinking, if you want the job done right etc, etc.

Then, WTH! brew it!! I have to say it was one of the best beers I've done!!

If I remember it was originally supposed to be a brown ale. I lost that recipe to PC crash, to this day I wish I could duplicate that recipe.

I do remember the tap handle label, F'd up ale!

This.

Back