Messed up Flanders Red Grist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nberk

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of Flanders Red using the Brewing Classic Styles recipe. I was curious to note that the wort didn't seem very red but shrugged my shoulders until now.

Today I realized that I had left off the Aromatic, Caramunich and Special B from the grain bill.

So basically, I brewed a beer with an estimated SRM of 4.8 using 44% Pilsen, 44% Vienna, 8% Munich and 4% Wheat and pitched the Wyeast Roselare blend. Any idea what category this might fit into? Any idea what to do about this?

Thanks, N

Let it ride.

But ... If you really wanted to, you could mash the missed ingredients and add them later. This is going to be a long ferment, adding some malt and character late will not make much difference ....... might even be an improvement; who knows. Might want to add a little 2-row to ensure conversion, the Aromatic probably doesn't have enough.

A Flanders Pale? Have you ever tried Petrus Pale, its a great sour beer that is about 3-5 SRM. Recommendations...wait.

I know that's what I thinking as well. I'll leave it be and see what develops. I just hope it's not totally thin and cidery. I've never tasted Petrus Pale, but I have tasted Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere which I love. I think I'll leave it as is and rebrew another Flander Red to get the pipe line going.

I'll give thanks to the relative affordability of glass carboys and the spaciousness of my crawlspace as I rapidly accumulate glass down there.

I hate the way the recipes are layed out in BCS, they are just asking for stuff to be left out, at least when doing AG.

I do think you are going to have a great beer though!!!

I agree the set up does make leaving off ingredients pretty easy. I got focused on the paragraph at the end and didn't go back and make sure I had the steep grains still included. This was my first Flanders Red and I put the order in when I was at the HBS with the book kind of on a whim. It's certainly nice to have a reference like this to start off from when doing new styles though so I don't want to complain too loudly.

Back