Mesquite/Carob Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanos

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows about using mesquite pods or flour to brew something akin to beer. I have access to a lot of pods and no knowledge of how such a thing would be done. How about carob?

Wow. Quintuple post. That's quite the accomplishment.

This document, while a little old, may answer some questions. Look to pages 10-11 for milling observations and nutritional analyses of the different parts of the pod. The whole document looks to be informative. It looks like there are some good sugars and starches in the pods, you just might have to work to get them more or less isolated from the high protein/fat content, and get some enzymes in there.

edit: A link would help, wouldn't it?
http://etd.lib.ttu.edu/theses/available/etd-03252009-31295003638896/unrestricted/31295003638896.pdf

Guld, looks like you forgot the link.

I just had DFH Wrath of Pecant which had some carob in it, although the pecan smoked malt was the biggest flavor.

GuldTuborg, thanks a bunch for the link! Hopefully I can work some kind of brew magic and make something tasty. Cheers!

A professor of mine sent me the .pdf file for the article "Sower 2002 - Homebrewing Indigenous Beverages of the Southwest - Zymurgy". I'm not sure how to post the pdf for viewing, but if you google it, you may have some luck :)

I have a copy of the PDF of the Sower article from Zymurgy that JuanMoore sent to me a while back if you want it.
I have brewed and bottled a mesquite wheat that came out great and and bottled a roasted mesquite stout with local grown black sphinx dates. I'll update with tasting notes as it matures a bit. If anyone is interested, I have been scouting local trees and will be harvesting pods starting in late summer as they begin to ripen. If anyone is interested in using some that doesn't have access to them, I will be happy to work out trades with them for other brewing ingredients/equipment. If there's some interest, I'll take it to the Classifieds forum.
Thanks,
GTG

I recently started making ginger beer with sorghum as the sweetener, and it comes out awesome! I'm truly addicted, and I recently thought about what would be a nice flavoring for the beer.

I though carob would be good, and I looked it up. It seems the ancient Egyptians made carob beer, and I mixed a batch two days ago.

I just sample tasted it this morning, and it's very fizzy and tastes like beer! I'm very impressed so far, but it won't really be ready until two days from now.

This may be a regular thing with me, because I'm very interested in the health benefits of carob, so it goes well with my beer habit, which I engage in for the probiotic properties of home-brewed beer (I only brew it for four days at a time, so the yeast and lactobacillus cultures are still alive and help with digestion).

I hope this helps!

Hi

That is an old post but if anyone still looks at it, I was wondering if there is anybody who has calculated the percentage of fermentable sugars in carob. I've done some looking around and it seems that most of the sugars are sucrose, glucose and fructose (all fermentable by brewer's yeast). Seems some higher sugars are present but to small degree. Anyone with any accurate figures?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back