Melange blend review?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haberlet

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been an avid sour brewer for three or so years and have tried every kind of microbes available. Most don't cut it acid wise for me. I just discovered The Yeast Bay and their Melange sour blend... Any reviews/experiences?

Hi all,

I've been an avid sour brewer for three or so years and have tried every kind of microbes available. Most don't cut it acid wise for me. I just discovered The Yeast Bay and their Melange sour blend... Any reviews/experiences?

Nick from The Yeast Bay here. You can see this thread and PM some of the respondents if you want more info on our Melange Sour Blend:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=562339

There are some other reviews I believe you can find if you Google it. Cheers, and I hope the culture works out for you!

Nick, thanks for the response. I ordered a vial of your sour blend with some lager yeast a few days ago. Looks like great product!

It sounds great. I appreciate you for putting together high quality sour blends.. I did it myself by trading strains for years and maintaining dozens of flasks and petris... Time to simplify!

I've used Melange 3 times and have had many more beer from friends who used it.

AMAZING!!

I also just ordered Melange and Amalgamation (should be shipping today!), so I don't have anything to contribute yet, but I'm excited to try them out. I'm planning on doing a sour red with Melange. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with Amalgamation...possibly something that gets aged on tart cherries.

About a year ago I started my first mixed fermentation, and chose TYB Melange for it. I started the beer with the intention that it will be an ongoing solera project. With that intention in mind, I saved the yeast/bug cake from the initial primary fermentation, and I intend to use that to ferment my next addition to the solera. I've re-fed it a couple times, and the decanted starter beer was nice and strongly sour. It sours about 1250ml of starter beer within a couple months.

I sampled my initial solera recently, and it's nice, but it's not as strongly acidic as the starter beer has gotten. It's well balanced and nice, but I suspect the acidity has do do with hopping. The solera beer was about 10 IBUs. For my next addition, I'll dial that down.

Back