Melancholy Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12pack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
once again, i have to say that this is a VERY informative site, and i appreciate it very much.
every time i have a question, BAM, there is an answer and several others to back it up.

i came here this time because i bottled my 6th batch last sunday (4/18) and cracked one tonight to try it out. it was as flat as the earth before Magellan made it all the way around... ok, maybe that's a bad analogy, but ya get the picture.
as it turns out, from what i've read here, thats more often the case but what gave me pause was the fact that my previous couple were fairly nicely (can i use two -ly words back to back) carbed, so i thought that i had done something wrong.
looks like its to the back of the shelf for this batch... at least for another week or two before i try it again.
i have 3 other batches in various stages waiting my attention.
thanks folks.
A+ to this site! :mug:

Yeah, some beers don't carb as fast as others, and a week is NOT very much time for the leftover yeastie beasties to do their jobs. Glad to hear that the pipeline isn't dry yet. Just wait, it will come along!
Kirk

From what I've learned in my young brewing career, 3 weeks minimum in bottles. Not only for carbonation, but for conditioning as well. Sucks to wait it out, but once you get a pipeline going, the time tends to pass by quicker. Not to mention that its well worth it in the taste department.

I pulled out a "surveillance" beer last night, and it was flat enough to make the walls jealous. I did notice, however, a drop formed on the cap when I turned that bottle upside down... oops! Air leak. I guess during my long, un-fun bottling day (night) I hadn't quite sealed that one right and I didn't notice it at the time.

Needless to say, unpressurized bottles will not carbonate.

Beer still tasted "green" though, so I learned what I had to learn from the surveillance.

(I like to bottle in 22 oz bombers. It's no prob to drink 22 oz. in one sitting, and it cuts the number of bottles to fill in pretty much half, so bombers are my friend. I do use 12 oz bottles as well, and I open one occasionally to check on the progress of the batch... hence, they are my "surveillance" beers.) :drunk:

ok.. 5 days later..

i bottled an imperial pale tonight, smelled great, tasted wonderful.
took a peek at my previous ale (the one this thread started as a result of), and turned one over quick to see what rose...)
i saw much better activity (bubbles) than i had seen before. so i set it in the fridge to cool off a bit, as i fully intended on trying it to see if it was actually was better...
it IS. i am satisfied.
this beer will now sit on that back shelf for another 2 weeks... i no longer feel the need to check it constantly...
the only problem is the slight apple taste.. damn...

Glad it turned out good for you.

I'm going though a similar situation as you described in your OP, opened one after a week and it was flat and got scared. I need to learn some patience!

really.. sometimes patience works..
but if you are new at brewing like i am, then all cards are on the table...
i finally found how to carb my beer.
i love this website
homebrewtalk +4

Back