meeting homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncommonsense

Reaction score
I never met another homebrewer before, untell last saturday. I dont belong to a club. There kinda far away and my schedule is not reliable. I met one at homebrew shop, With what i think is the best ice breaker. "Whatcha brewen". Then we proceeded geek out on beer. It was fun to talk to someone that know what i was talking about.

I've met a ton of brewers through this site. Are you in central illinois? There's a group of brewers in Central Ill. that set up get together through the brewspace feature on here, Central Illinois Home Brewers

A bunch of the Michigan Masher's get together all the time, to brew, to meet up at brewpubs, or just to hang out. They've become some of my closest friends.

I even preformed the marriage for one of them from here, Terrapinchef, this summer.

269024_2042006102683_1620240672_1928082_6627610_n.jpg

Start a thread on here saying, "Any HBT'ers near Lincoln, Ill?" And find a bar and get together, you'll get plenty of beer geek talk.

I agree with the HB club side of things. I think it was some of the best money I have ever spent. You can read and look at pics all day until your eyes bleed but until you watch how to fly sparge, as an example, you may not ever try it on your own.
Not to mention we give each other honest feed back on brews. Not always consistant or correct but at least it is honest...

It seems like the closest brew club(s) around me are 30-50 miles away at least,or at other ends of the bloody state. Cleveland,Akron,Canton,Dayton,Cincinnati...I don't like the thought of driving at least 60M round trip for a club meeting or get together.
But a local one would be nice to get feedback,learn things,etc. I could dig that if it doesn't matter how you brew. I wouldn't want to be shoved off in a corner at a "brew in" because I like playing with extracts & what not. Where the AG'rs think dey da shizz kind of thing. Nothing around here...

It seems like the closest brew club(s) around me are 30-50 miles away at least,or at other ends of the bloody state. Cleveland,Akron,Canton,Dayton,Cincinnati...I don't like the thought of driving at least 60M round trip for a club meeting or get together.
But a local one would be nice to get feedback,learn things,etc. I could dig that if it doesn't matter how you brew. I wouldn't want to be shoved off in a corner at a "brew in" because I like playing with extracts & what not. Where the AG'rs think dey da shizz kind of thing. Nothing around here...

There are folks in my club that belong to 5-6 differnt clubs all over the state, I wonder how they make money to survive because they are always up to some brew thing.

As for the AG exclusivness, that would NEVER happen in our club nor have I ever heard of this. We actually go out of our way to include Extact brewers in every way possible. Not that my club is like every club in the USA but it would seem odd to me that folks would act like that.

My club meetings are 30 miles away, and I was a little hesitant to make the drive at first. Really glad I joined, and wish I had done it earlier. There are lots of extract brewers in the club, and have had extract brews boiling alongside all grain at our group brews, so I wouldn't let that concern you.

Back