Medium Toast Oak Cubes - Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily47

Reaction score
Here's a fun question:

I've got 3 oz of Medium Toast Hungarian Oak Cubes. What is your ideal beer to brew with these guys?

I do an amazing "Bourbon Barrel Stout" that uses medium toast oak, 2 whole vanilla beans and 1 cup of southern bourbon. That beer is competition worthy, everyone who tries it is amazed.

I just used some in a APA just waiting for it to cold condition.

Just about anything you might want to have an Oak flavor in. SS tanks were not used in the beginning.

I just used some in a APA just waiting for it to cold condition.

Just about anything you might want to have an Oak flavor in. SS tanks were not used in the beginning.

They did line the casks with pitch to try and eliminate the wood flavor from the beer. Wood flavor was not seen as desirable as it is today. Just being argumentative.:tank:

To the OP: Stouts and Porters. Do some research on Firestone Walker DBA, which is an English Pale Ale. It is an oaked beer that you can turn around in a short period of time. PM if you want the recipe, I don't have on hand right now, but I listened to the Can You Brew It podcast and brewed the beer and was pretty impressed, especially for the quick turn around. It didn't last long once I kegged it. It gave the beer this oak, vanilla depth that was delicious and unexpected for a pale ale. I brewed another EPA right after that one, and had them on tap at the same time, while the recipes were a bit different, I missed the oak complexity in the un oaked EPA that the DBA clone had.

"Whatever"
said in a RDWHAHB voice, not that of a teenager.
Or so says Drom John, who has used oak chips in my AHS Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout, and in my superb Innis & Gunn clone; and will use in my next brew, Cherry Porter.
IOW, whatever you're brewing next.

Back