Meat is not a protein source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love meat. But the fact that we have to cook meat to eat it without getting sick is pretty compelling evidence that we did not evolve to eat it. Nature certainly had no way of knowing we would create fire and char the **** out of other animals and then eat them. As much as I love a good steak or juicy cheeseburger, eating large amounts of meat every day is not part of a healthy diet. There is absolutely nothing beneficial in meat or dairy products that you can't get from a fruit, vegetable or grain. Obesity related illness is the number one cause of death in North America, and it is 100% because of our diet. I say this after eating two BBQed cheeseburgers. They were fantastic. Now that's probably the most meat I'll eat in a sitting for a week or more.

I have to disagree, meat may not have evolved for us to eat it but there is a large body of evidence including the teath in our heads that says eating meat most definatley allowed us to evolve in to who we are today. It's would have been all most impossible for a gatherer type to get enough calories and protein to evolve such large brains. Farming which could provide enough nutrition came along because of our brains, not the other way around.

Cooking meat while not essential does make it more digestable and easier to eat and cooked meat played a part in our evolution. I doubt it took early man long to figure out that adding meat to the fire made it taste better and easier to eat.

Today we are FORCED to cook our meat because of the factory farms and industrial style houses of death that breed infections and bacteria. I have no such worries about the meat in my freezer

I have to disagree, meat may not have evolved for us to eat it but there is a large body of evidence including the teath in our heads that says eating meat most definatley allowed us to evolve in to who we are today. It's would have been all most impossible for a gatherer type to get enough calories and protein to evolve such large brains. Farming which could provide enough nutrition came along because of our brains, not the other way around.

Cooking meat while not essential does make it more digestable and easier to eat and cooked meat played a part in our evolution. I doubt it took early man long to figure out that adding meat to the fire made it taste better and easier to eat.

Today we are FORCED to cook our meat because of the factory farms and industrial style houses of death that breed infections and bacteria. I have no such worries about the meat in my freezer

Also doesn't cooking meat actually destroy some of the goodness in it, therefore another +1 for originally eating it raw.

Meat contains protein and the majority of people eat it, which by definition makes it a protein source. Hereby discrediting the title of this thread. Also organic chicken is one of the most efficient sources of lean protein there is.

It will be a protein source with about another 3 hours on the smoker.

And some meat is good raw but low and slow can take meat to a level way greater than just a protein source, it can take it to a level that can't be described

ForumRunner_20130527_130935.jpg

... eating large amounts of meat every day is not part of a healthy diet...
This is the conventional wisdom, unfortunately the research does not support this claim.

...There is absolutely nothing beneficial in meat or dairy products that you can't get from a fruit, vegetable or grain.
Even if that were true, it seems odd to cobble together a meal of multiple carefully-selected items to emulate the nutritional value of meat. Dude, just eat the meat. Probably tastes better too.

Obesity related illness is the number one cause of death in North America, and it is 100% because of our diet.
Agreed (well, diet and being sedentary, but diet is lion's share of it). But meat is not the problem. Do you see what most people eat? It's not food. More like a corn syrup / soybean oil abomination.

Tell all the statistics and "research" you want. I would rather live 20 years less eating meat, than 20 longer not eating meat.

I love meat. But the fact that we have to cook meat to eat it without getting sick is pretty compelling evidence that we de-evolved to eat it. Nature certainly had no way of knowing we would create fire and char the **** out of other animals and then eat them. As much as I love a good steak or juicy cheeseburger, eating large amounts of any one food item every day is not part of a healthy diet. There is absolutely nothing beneficial from any one food source. Obesity related illness is the number one cause of death in North America, and it is 100% because of the portions in our diet. I say this after eating two BBQed cheeseburgers. They were fantastic. Now that's probably the most meat I'll eat in a sitting for a week or more.

I can agree with this.

Show me evidence that our intestinal flora has remained unchanged since the incarnation of man and I "might" be on board with the BS about us not eating raw meat and being strcitly herbivores. Otherwise, there is no reason to think that we in our primal state weren't able to consume raw meat like every other carnivore in history. The current state of our intestinal flora is little more than a de-evolution as a result of fire in that our systems no longer need to harvest the necessary bugs to keep us from getting ill.

Otherwise, historical primal dental structures suggest we have always been omnivores. AFAIK.

this is a fail in logic. your assuming nothing else has changed since we used to eat raw meat. Germs, Diseases, and viruses have all evolved as well. On top of that the way that beef is harvested processed and manufactured is far different than killing a wild bovine and harvesting its meat. Also you think way back when people didnt die of disease and famine?

You can still eat raw meat today, in fact I just ate some delicious carpaccio (Thin sliced raw fillet of beef topped with fresh sleeves of
Parmigiano Reggiano and drizzled with truffle oil.) at a local italian place last week. the reason you cant eat any ol raw beef is because the beef your buying needs to be produced in conditions that meet certain food safety standards. not all plants meet these standards, hence cooking for safety is reccomended.

This is also the reason that you can eat a rare steak (only cooking the outside) but hamburger should be cooked through. because the meat is exposed to contaminants during manufacturing, not because the meat itself is unsafe.

Vegetables, even fresh ones, can kill. 5 people died from E. Coli on fresh spinach a few years ago. The FDA asked all Americans to stop eating fresh spinach.

Next was June Dunning who, even at 86, was "a very proper British lady" who made a point of leading a healthy life, says her son-in-law, Chuck Swartz. Dunning lived with Swartz and her daughter Corinne in Hagerstown, Md. She got sick Friday night, Sept. 1, several days after eating lightly steamed spinach from a Dole bag. True to her stiff-upper-lip nature, Dunning didn't bother her family about the pain.

The next morning Corinne went into Dunning's room "and found this huge bloody mess all over," Swartz says. Corinne took her mother straight to the hospital.

It wasn't until Wednesday, Sept. 6, that tests showed she had E. coli O157:H7. "I said, 'What's that? That sounds like something from Mars,' " her son-in-law says. "The infectious-disease doctor said it came from hamburger. We said, 'She doesn't eat hamburger; she loves vegetables.' " Dunning lasted for another week.​

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-09-20-spinach-main_N.htm

passedpawn said:
Vegetables, even fresh ones, can kill. 5 people died from E. Coli on fresh spinach a few years ago. The FDA asked all Americans to stop eating fresh spinach.

Next was June Dunning who, even at 86, was "a very proper British lady" who made a point of leading a healthy life, says her son-in-law, Chuck Swartz. Dunning lived with Swartz and her daughter Corinne in Hagerstown, Md. She got sick Friday night, Sept. 1, several days after eating lightly steamed spinach from a Dole bag. True to her stiff-upper-lip nature, Dunning didn't bother her family about the pain.

The next morning Corinne went into Dunning's room "and found this huge bloody mess all over," Swartz says. Corinne took her mother straight to the hospital.

It wasn't until Wednesday, Sept. 6, that tests showed she had E. coli O157:H7. "I said, 'What's that? That sounds like something from Mars,' " her son-in-law says. "The infectious-disease doctor said it came from hamburger. We said, 'She doesn't eat hamburger; she loves vegetables.' " Dunning lasted for another week.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-09-20-spinach-main_N.htm

I believe the packaged on-the-vine tomatoes were contaminated with E. coli within the last couple years as well. Bean sprouts are also notoriously prone to contamination. Peanut butter regularly gets recalled for salmonella. The more you know about where your food came from, the better off you'll likely be.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that more people are killed or just merely hospitalized from eating tainted spinach than from drinking raw milk or eating raw milk cheese.

CreamyGoodness said:
I'm not even going to mention the fact that more people are killed or just merely hospitalized from eating tainted spinach than from drinking raw milk or eating raw milk cheese.

My senior design project was to build a prototype to sample and concentrate farm pond water (a common source of contamination) for much faster response to outbreaks from contaminated produce. The project was part of a national engineering design competition so the issue is obviously a big deal. Didn't have any moo cow projects...

Give the award to John Wayne and the 40 pounds of impacted feces in his colon.

I.G Meat

uxo said:
Give the award to John Wayne and the 40 pounds of impacted feces in his colon.

I.G Meat

You must be referring to J.W. Bobbit and his brief career as an "adult entertainer."

I love meat. But the fact that we have to cook meat to eat it without getting sick is pretty compelling evidence that we did not evolve to eat it. Nature certainly had no way of knowing we would create fire and char the **** out of other animals and then eat them. As much as I love a good steak or juicy cheeseburger, eating large amounts of meat every day is not part of a healthy diet.

Actually, we didn't evolve to eat meat, we evolved BECAUSE we ate meat. About 2 million years ago, our ancsestor Australopithecus began to eat meat and more importantly, bone marrow. The added calories in the form of proteins & fats allowed for their brains to further develop/evolve. If they hadn't eaten meat, we might have evolved very differently than we did.

Homonids began eating meat long before they mastered fire, so they had to eat it raw. Most of the problems we modern humans face with raw meat is due to simple contamination. I'm not trying to dis your diet, I'm an omnivore too; I just wanted to point out that eating meat made us human.
Regards, GF.

Ha. At this point I would be in favor of giving someone a "fails to use snopes" award as their av.

Maybe it will go just a little ways to limit how many people still think lesbians are adopting boys and giving them sex changes or that anyone who takes more than 5 hits of acid over a lifetime is legally insane.

Ha. At this point I would be in favor of giving someone a "fails to use snopes" award as their av.

Maybe it will go just a little ways to limit how many people still think lesbians are adopting boys and giving them sex changes or that anyone who takes more than 5 hits of acid over a lifetime is legally insane.

Over a lifetime? Hell, I've done more than that amount at once!

My only problem with meat is the general **** quality of it at my local grocery store. Of I could hunt and kill all my own food I would.
we do that. but it's in our garden. and you don't have to be a skilled hunter to bag your limit of potatoes or peppers. bwahahahhaha!!!

For me the appeal of eating meat lies in the answer to the question: "Now what am I supposed to do with all the deer, turkey, squirrels, rabbits I kill?"

I'd say about 90% of the meat I eat comes from the woods. I usually only buy fish.

we do that. but it's in our garden. and you don't have to be a skilled hunter to bag your limit of potatoes or peppers. bwahahahhaha!!!

I raise some of my meat in the back yard, they like to eat things like grass & alfalfa, but they get treats of carrots & apples sometimes too. I like to think it makes them a little more plump & juicy. :D

Back