measuring ingredients equipment question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I would like to know what everyone else uses to measure there ingredients when you have to measure them in grams like 1.3 grams or 1.8 grams.

The reason I would like to know is because I just realized that I did not have anyway to measure .9 or lower in grams :(. So what do you use to measure with?

thanks

Hello everyone,
I would like to know what everyone else uses to measure there ingredients when you have to measure them in grams like 1.3 grams or 1.8 grams.

The reason I would like to know is because I just realized that I did not have anyway to measure .9 or lower in grams :(. So what do you use to measure with?

thanks
I bought a cheap digital scale from ebay.. Measures in oz or grams..:mug: It works great, is very accurate and was only like $10... There are tons of them on ebay right now..

+1 lots of workable jewelers/gram scales on Ebay. Just try to size the scale to the application. The cheapest ones tend to be 100g and 200g scales. While these will work OK they are not ideal. Weighing a gram on a 200 gram scale is sort of akin to trying to weigh 1 lb on your bathroom scale. Your just not exercising the load cell of the scale enough to get a consistent and accurate reading. You should try to size the scale so you are getting a good 5% or so of it's range in the reading.

I have two scales I got off Ebay. I have a 50 gram scale that I got for like $10 that is great if I wanna weigh a couple grams of mineral addition or nutrient or whatever. I have another 20 gram scale that is much more sensitive and accurate for when I just want a gram or less of something. I bought the 20 gram one from a China seller for maybe $20-25. The same scale is sold by US retailers for $50. The 50 gram scale I got from a US seller. If you use a China seller on Ebay make sure they have positive feedback for the item you are looking at and have been selling on Ebay for a while.

get a cheap envelop scale for $3 at an office supply store. yeah, drug dealers use em too, but they're reasonably accurate to get 1 gram measured.

Bed Bath and Beyond digital scale, SWMBO bought it for a diet she was on. It does oz and g's.

I must be being misunderstood about what I am trying to weigh. I have a scale that weighs grams and oz/lbs. But the scale that I have will not weigh weights that is less than 1 gram. You know something in the way of .9 grams and lower. So what do you have/use that can weight such weights?

I got an 11 lb Taylor digital scale for $46 at Targets it's all black glass, weighs grams and pounds, looks real nice but IT SUCKS. Hard to turn on and off and switch between lbs and grams. Got an ERR message one day and it was useless. I called Taylor and they asked me how I stored it when not using. I told them I put it back in the box it came in. They said I should have taken the battery out in between uses. They did tell me to send it back to them in N.Mexico and they would replace it. I bought another one at Target and switched scales and returned the broken one for a refund, let them send it back to N Mexico.

Is this for a hop's addition? or a salt addition?

If its for a hops addition, round up.

If its for a brewing salt addition, make a working stock.

e.g.
if you need .8g/L make a 100X working solution by adding 8g to 100ml, and then add you salt solution at a 1:100 ratio to your water. you can store your salt solutions in tightly caped jars or bottles for a long time. Or make smaller working solutions and pour out what you don't need.

I must be being misunderstood about what I am trying to weigh. I have a scale that weighs grams and oz/lbs. But the scale that I have will not weigh weights that is less than 1 gram. You know something in the way of .9 grams and lower. So what do you have/use that can weight such weights?

Maybe you misunderstood my previous answer. Tons of digital jewelry/gram scales on Ebay that show .01 or better gram resolution for low gram weights. Here are two examples including the 20 gram one that I use for very low measurements.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-001-X-20-GRAM...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efb0b300d

http://cgi.ebay.com/80-x-0-01-Gram-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d274d6151

Maybe you misunderstood my previous answer. Tons of digital jewelry/gram scales on Ebay that show .01 or better gram resolution for low gram weights. Here are two examples including the 20 gram one that I use for very low measurements.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-001-X-20-GRAM...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efb0b300d

http://cgi.ebay.com/80-x-0-01-Gram-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d274d6151

Yes I am sorry I did misunderstand your post. Sorry about that. Thank you that is what I was looking for! I am the type of person that is a stickler for being precise when it comes to measurements. I guess that has something to do with being a programmer and the need toi be precise in my code.

Don't settle for second best!

thanks very much

Back