Measuring gravity right after a cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blarneybrew

Reaction score
I'm guessing the brew made it to 40F at best while reading it. How many points should I add or subtract from this reading? I got 1.006 at 37-40F OG was 1.035 at 60F

Thanks. Hmmm 4%....

Thought it might be higher lol

I used 9lb 2row + 1lb maris + 1lb crystal malt. Hour long acid rest and then 143 F at 30 min, 156F at 30 min

Is that to be expected?

Your OG seems a bit low for that grist. The mash schedule sounds ok (probably don't need the multi step with the well modified malts used but it certainly doesn't hurt)

The next thing is look to is your crush.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was thinking crush. I'm always hesitant to run it through a second time because one run and I've got about two tablespoons of flour on the bottom of the mill.

I'm not sure I've ever mashed that low and was wondering if that was a contributing factor. In the past a 148 mash with that bill would put me in the low 5s.

I used s-04 on this brew. I might have lost a point cold crashing after only 5 days. But that 04 seems to work quick

This is a 5 gallon batch? If so, yes consider a finer crush and review your process, I didn't do the math but that seems like very low efficiency. Cold crash after 5 days? What's the rush? I would be concerned about refermentation resulting in over carbonation after bottling.

Just wanted it off the trub is all. I keg not bottle.

Have you used s-04 before? It's lightning in a... bucket. Starts bubbling in 12 hours and you're lucky to see a single bubble exit after 48 hours.

I understand that you can let the brew sit and knock off a few points over two weeks. I just felt like maybe s-04 was an exception. I wanted it off the trub and will probably jump it two more times before drinking. Or none at all

Back