Measured water incorrectly...fix or leave?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmmille

Reaction score
Hi Folks! Just starting out brewing...have a bunch if crabapples, so I'm trying cider. So far, so good, mostly. One thing I did not realize though, was that when I get to the bottling stage, for a sparkling cider, I am going to add a primer (Munton's CarbTabs) and either settle for a very dry cider OR add the tablets and additional sweetener that is non-fermenting or pasteurize to kill the yeast. Is that right? The CarbTabs are dextrose, spray-dried malt extract and heading powder (PGA). I don't mind dry, but I don't want others to not like it...and crabapples aren't very sweet to begin with. Thoughts on backsweetening and best non-fermenting sweetener options? I just racked from primary to carboy and in 3 weeks, rack again (sooner, if it looks nice and clear before then). From there I have seen anywhere from 2 months to next Spring for bottling.

Now, for my most pressing question:I have started a second batch this morning and realized that my Liberal Arts brain failed me in measuring the water for my first batch. Instead of 2 gallons, I wound up with 1 gal in a 1 gal. carboy and 32 oz in a 64 oz growler. These went to second stage 24 hours ago. Should I add water and re-rack at this point or just let it go? The SG looked ok and the flavor seemed dry, but fresh. Any answers, suggestions, comments, etc., would be welcome!

Update: Cider in 1 gal carboy continues to drop sediment and seems to be on track. From a similar thread, it was suggested to never add water after pitching the yeast. So, I guess that's the deal. So, I wonder what the difference is going to be between batch #1 and batch #2, besides volume? I would still love to hear some opinions!

Matt Miller

Back