Mead Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkent1978

Reaction score
I have well water that's hard...I know I don't want to soften the water but what are my options otherwise. Buying bottles is not an option as my anticipated volumes will be too high to be toting around that much water.

What water profiles are best for Mead? I've previously just used bottled spring water but with increasing my volumes this isn't feasible.

Would high flow filters (carbon and silver) be adequate?

I'm figuring RO is the best method but I'm not prepared to drop the money it would take to get anything like that quite yet.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure about water profiles (not my thing), but one good way to help with volumes would be to mix filtered water with RO (50/50). Most filters will trap a certain amount of minerals and are alot more affordable. I'd also recommend asking your local water company for a profile and post it on HBT. There are quite a few people who know how to read it.

I'd just hook a charcoal filter up to your tap. It'll remove any bacteria & other crud in your water, as well as SOME mineral debris, but leave enough behind to aid yeast health (like Ca and Mg). The problem with RO is that you remove EVERYTHING - and you'd have to actually add minerals back to help with yeast health.

Back